1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Dissipated by a Lightbulb

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The electric power P is dissipated by a light bulb of resistance R is P=v^2/R, where V represents the line voltage. During a brownout, the line voltage is 10.0% less than its normal value. How much power is drawn by a light bulb during the brownout if it normally draws 100.0 W (watts)? Assume that the resistance does not change.

2. P = V^2/R

3. Since resistance does not change, I disregarded it completely. I then took 100 in place for P and solved for V in the equation. Then I took 10 (my solution to the first problem) in place of V and subtracted 10.0% to find the power that is drawn by the lightbulb during the brownout. But my answer does not match up to the books.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think you use the 100 watts as P and 120v as v to get the R. Then use the v x.9 and R to get the brownout wattage.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    you do not need to know R because it does not change.
    The power is proportional to V^2
    If V is only 90% 0f the original then the power will be proportional to (0.9)^2 x original V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook