Power Dissipated by a Lightbulb

In summary, during a brownout where the line voltage is 10.0% less than normal, a light bulb that normally draws 100.0 W will draw (0.9)^2 x 100.0 W, which is 81.0 W. This is because the power dissipated by a light bulb is proportional to the voltage squared, so when the voltage is decreased by 10.0%, the power will also decrease by (0.9)^2 or 0.81 of its original value. The resistance does not play a factor in this calculation since it remains constant.
Sir Isaac
1. The electric power P is dissipated by a light bulb of resistance R is P=v^2/R, where V represents the line voltage. During a brownout, the line voltage is 10.0% less than its normal value. How much power is drawn by a light bulb during the brownout if it normally draws 100.0 W (watts)? Assume that the resistance does not change.

2. P = V^2/R

3. Since resistance does not change, I disregarded it completely. I then took 100 in place for P and solved for V in the equation. Then I took 10 (my solution to the first problem) in place of V and subtracted 10.0% to find the power that is drawn by the lightbulb during the brownout. But my answer does not match up to the books.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you use the 100 watts as P and 120v as v to get the R. Then use the v x.9 and R to get the brownout wattage.

you do not need to know R because it does not change.
The power is proportional to V^2
If V is only 90% 0f the original then the power will be proportional to (0.9)^2 x original V

1. How is power dissipated by a lightbulb measured?

The power dissipated by a lightbulb is typically measured in watts (W), which is the rate at which energy is being used or transformed.

2. What factors affect the power dissipated by a lightbulb?

The power dissipated by a lightbulb can be affected by factors such as the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the filament, and any external factors that may influence the temperature of the bulb.

3. How does the type of lightbulb affect the power dissipation?

The type of lightbulb can greatly affect the power dissipation. For example, LED lightbulbs use less power compared to incandescent bulbs, resulting in lower power dissipation.

4. Does the brightness of a lightbulb correlate with the power dissipated?

Yes, the brightness of a lightbulb is directly related to the power dissipated. A brighter bulb will typically have a higher power dissipation compared to a dimmer bulb.

5. How can the power dissipated by a lightbulb be reduced?

The power dissipated by a lightbulb can be reduced by using energy-efficient bulbs, such as LED or CFL bulbs, lowering the voltage of the power source, or using dimmer switches to adjust the brightness of the bulb.