Graphing the Power dissipated in a resistor

guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Graph the power dissipated in each resistor as a function of its resistance.
Relevant Equations
P=VI
I am solving #5 in the attached image.

So I am graphing the power dissipated by a series circuit which : (a) Contains a constant voltage source and a variable resistor, R (b) Contains a constant current source and a variable resistor.

It makes sense to me to just use the power equation that allows me to define the constant from each series and the power will be determined by what relationship R shares with P in said equation.

Just wondering if I have the right approach.

IMG_098E9BFE4AFE-1.jpeg

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Why are you doubting your method? How could you verify yourself that you are correct?

Likes vanhees71

What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat as electric current passes through the resistor. This heat is produced due to the resistance of the material in the resistor.

Why is it important to graph the power dissipated in a resistor?

Graphing the power dissipated in a resistor allows us to visualize the relationship between the power dissipation and the current or voltage applied to the resistor. This can help us understand the behavior of the resistor and make more accurate predictions for its performance.

How is the power dissipated in a resistor calculated?

The power dissipated in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula is known as Joule's Law.

What factors can affect the power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be affected by the value of the resistance, the current passing through the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. Other factors such as the material and size of the resistor can also play a role.

How can we use the power dissipation graph to select the appropriate resistor for a circuit?

The power dissipation graph can help us determine the maximum power that a resistor can safely handle without overheating. By looking at the graph, we can select a resistor with a power rating that is higher than the maximum power dissipation in our circuit to ensure it does not get damaged.