Voltage change to go from 60-W to 50-W?

You should multiply the R values on both sides. This is why you got 8% instead of 8.4%. In summary, in a "brownout" situation, the voltage supplied by the electric company falls, causing a decrease in power output of a given appliance. Assuming a small percent drop, the power output falls by approximately twice that percent. To determine the voltage drop needed for a 60-W lightbulb to act like a 50-W lightbulb, the equation (P=V^2/R) can be used. The power output can be calculated using the resistance values (R) for each lightbulb. By solving for R, a voltage drop of approximately 8.4% is needed for the
DennisDoesPhys.
In a "brownout" situation, the voltage supplied by the electric company falls. Assuming the percent drop is small, show that the power output of a given appliance falls by approximately twice that percent (assuming resistance does not change).
How much of a voltage drop does it take for a 60-W lightbulb to begin acting like a 50-W lightbulb?

Relevant equations:
(Power output/Power input)*100%
P=(v^2/R)

The attempt at a solution:
(50/60)*100%=83%
V[1]=sq.root(60R) v[2]=sq.root(50R)
sq.root(60R) * 0.83 = sq.root(50R)
60R * (0.83)^2 = 50R
60 * ((0.83)^2 )/R = 50
((0.83^2)/(60R) = 50/60
0.83^2=50R
R= ((0.83)^2)/50
R= 0.014 Ω
V[1]=sq.root(60(0.014)) v[2]=sq.root(50(0.014))
V[1]= 0.91 V v[2]= 0.83 V

(0.91 V - 0.83 V) *100%= (approximately 8%)

Answer key told me it was =8.4%, as i was a bit off, was wondering if i had made a mistake or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
DennisDoesPhys. said:
V[1]=sq.root(60R) v[2]=sq.root(50R)
These are both good.
DennisDoesPhys. said:
sq.root(60R) * 0.83 = sq.root(50R)
This is NOT.

1. How does the voltage change when going from 60-W to 50-W?

The voltage will decrease when going from 60-W to 50-W. This is because power (W) is inversely proportional to voltage (V) when resistance (R) is constant, according to the formula P = V^2/R. Therefore, as power decreases, voltage must also decrease.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and wattage?

Voltage and wattage have an inverse relationship, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This is because wattage is a measure of power, which is equal to the product of voltage and current (P = I x V). Therefore, a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in wattage.

3. Can the voltage change affect the electrical current?

Yes, the voltage change can affect the electrical current. This is because according to Ohm's Law (V = I x R), an increase or decrease in voltage will result in a corresponding change in current, as long as the resistance remains constant.

4. Why would someone want to change the voltage from 60-W to 50-W?

One possible reason for changing the voltage from 60-W to 50-W could be to reduce the power consumption of a device. This could be beneficial for energy efficiency or to prevent overheating of the device. Another reason could be to match the voltage requirements of a different power source.

5. Is changing the voltage a simple process?

It depends on the context. If the voltage change is being made in a circuit, it may require some technical knowledge and the use of appropriate equipment. However, if the voltage change is made at the power source or by replacing a device with a different voltage rating, it can be a relatively simple process.