Power dissipated by a resistor on a coaxial cable

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the calculation of R, which represents the resistance of a resistor connected between two cylinders. The question asks for a demonstration that, for any value of R, the power dissipated in the resistor is equal to the rate at which electromagnetic field energy is propagating along the cable. The Poynting vector from part (b) is used to find this rate. The conversation also mentions the need to satisfy V=IR for steady-state conditions and the potential for adjusting the values of lambda and/or I to achieve this. There is some confusion about the problem and its origins.
gausswell
Homework Statement
Find the power dissipated by the resistor.
Relevant Equations
P=IV, P=V^2/R
I need help with part c.
8a975be3d5d22daa109677a5638ef173.png

My solution:
0eadcf5e76b91bbe5c2e9d8b32705d81.png

Is there an other way to do this other than dimensional analysis?
P.S "dr an infinitesimal radius", it ofcourse should be dz.

Physics news on Phys.org
If possible, please type your work rather than post images of your work. It makes it easier for us to quote specific parts of your work.

I'm not following your calculation of R. In part (c), R represents the resistance of a resistor that is connected between the two cylinders. R can have an arbitrary value. The question asks you to show that for any value of R, the power dissipated in the resistor equals the rate at which electromagnetic field energy is propagating along the cable in the space between the two cylinders (as found using the Poynting vector from part (b)).

EDIT: For steady-state conditions with the resistor in place, we need to satisfy ##V = IR##. ##V## is determined by ##\lambda## (and ##a## and ##b##). So, if the values of ##\lambda## and ##I## are specified, then ##R## would need to have the value determined by ##V = IR##. Or, if ##R## is chosen arbitrarily, then ##I## and/or ##\lambda## would need to be adjusted so that ##V = IR##.

Last edited:
This is a very bad problem (or at least badly stated). May I inquire from the OP the exact origin?
What is the answer, please, for the Poynting vector in part b?

What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation is the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy. In the case of a resistor on a coaxial cable, power dissipation refers to the amount of heat produced by the resistor when current flows through it.

How is power dissipation calculated?

Power dissipation is calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms. In the case of a resistor on a coaxial cable, the resistance is the resistance of the resistor itself, as well as any additional resistance from the cable.

What factors affect power dissipation in a resistor on a coaxial cable?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in a resistor on a coaxial cable are the current flowing through the resistor, the resistance of the resistor and cable, and the ambient temperature. Higher currents and resistance will lead to higher power dissipation, while a higher ambient temperature can also increase the amount of heat produced.

Why is power dissipation important to consider in a coaxial cable system?

Power dissipation is important to consider in a coaxial cable system because it can affect the performance and lifespan of the cable and other components. Excessive heat produced by power dissipation can lead to damage or failure of the cable, and also impact the overall efficiency of the system.

How can power dissipation be reduced in a coaxial cable system?

There are a few ways to reduce power dissipation in a coaxial cable system. One way is to use a resistor with a higher power rating, which can handle more heat without failure. Another way is to reduce the current flowing through the resistor by using a lower voltage or increasing the resistance of the resistor. Additionally, proper ventilation and cooling can help dissipate heat and reduce the impact of power dissipation on the system.