1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Transmitted in a Coaxial Cable

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coaxial transmission line consists of an inner cylindrical conductor of radius a = 1 mm and a
    cylindrical outer conductor chosen to make the characteristic impedance 75 ohm. The space
    between the conductors is lled with a gas which can stand a maximum eld of 105 V/m
    without dielectric breakdown. Estimate the maximum mean radio-frequency power that
    can be transmitted along this line into a matching load.

2. Relevant equations
    On transmission line
    ## Z = \sqrt{L/C} ##
    For coaxial with radius a and b:
    ##C = \frac{2\pi \epsilon \epsilon_0}{ln(b/a)} ##
    ##L = \frac{\mu_0 ln(b/a)}{2\pi} ##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The voltage between the two conductors is by Gauss's law:
    ## V = \int \boldsymbol{E} \cdot d\boldsymbol{r} = E_0 ln(b/a) ##
    hence:
    ## V_{max} = E_{max} ln(b/a) ##
    also:
    ##Z = \sqrt{\mu / \epsilon \epsilon_0} \frac{ln(b/a)}{2\pi} ##
    Using ##P = VI = V^2/Z ## and asuuming ##epsilon \approx 1## gives:
    ##P_{max} = 0.21 GW##, but the answer is supposed to be 104 W.

What am I doing wrong? Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This equation doesn't make sense. The left side is in volts, the right side is in volts/meter. Check your derivation.

4. Dec 3, 2017 #3
    Thank you, I got it!

5. Dec 3, 2017 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

I had my doubts about this step but for another reason. There is vector potential ##A## inside coaxial cable, so it is
    ##E=\nabla V+\frac{\partial A}{\partial t}##

so that
    ##V=\int Edr## doesn't hold (because it is equivalent to ##E=\nabla V##.
    Do we make the approximation ##A\approx 0 ##?

6. Dec 4, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not necessary to invoke the magnetic potential.

You want to use Gauss's theorem to relate E field to potential difference between the conductors. So first you want to determine the geometry of the cable, i.e. the inner and outer radii. Is there a relation between these radii and Z0?

Then: use Gauss's theorem relating the E field to the potential difference V and the geometry and compute the max. allowable V for the given max. E.

Don't forget they want the rms power figure (I think - wording is not clear to me). Also assume an ideal matched line.

7. Dec 4, 2017 #6

Delta²

Gold Member

Can you show how you find V using Gauss's theorem(have to solve Poisson's equation?) without using that ##V=\int Edr## because that last integral becomes path dependent when there is vector potential.

8. Dec 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We are dealing solely with electric, not magnetic, fields. I have never run into a vector potential such that E = ∇ x Ae the way we write H = ∇ x A (or sometimes B = ∇ x A). The former is in fact impossible if there is charge present since ∇⋅E = ρ, not zero, so no vector potential can exist. In any case, forget all vector potentials.

You can relate V to E by solving Laplace's equation for the space between the conductors but you'd still need to do step 1 below. It would in fact be good to do so as a check if you went with my suggestion which is:

(1) Find the outer radius of said space; (2) relate E(r) to V, the potential between the conductors using Gauss; (3) find where E is the largest, then you can determine the max. allowable V given the max allowable E.

To do step 1 you will need one item of data given to you.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM
  9. Dec 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, solving Laplace's equation is the more direct route. Use the cylindrical coordinate expression ∇2V = (1/r) d/dr (r dV/dr) = 0 since there are no derivatives with respect to θ or z.

But again, your first task is to find the outer radius of the space between the conductors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted