Power flow outside a wire - how close?

• I
  • Thread starter Joseph M. Zias
  • Start date
In summary: The text of Morris & Styer does not mention any spatial scale of the plot. So, your guess may be as good as mine.
Joseph M. Zias
TL;DR Summary
power flow vs distance from wire
For at least a couple of decades a plethora of papers have presented power flow (via Poynting vectors) to be outside the wires. Wire resistance does cause some power to flow into the surface and cause heating, however. Given a DC circuit with low resistance wire I question how close to the wire is the power flow? Suppose a 10 volt source to 10 AWG wire with a 10 ohm resistor some distance away. What is the distribution of power vs perpendicular distance from the wire? So far, I have not seen this addressed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph M. Zias said:
TL;DR Summary: power flow vs distance from wire
The Poynting flow of energy ##\vec{S}=\mu_{0}^{-1}\vec{E}\times\vec{B}## due to electric circuits generally extends to a rather large volume around the wires. This is can be seen from the figures in: Morris & Styer-Visualizing Poynting vector energy flow in electric circuits . To simplify the analysis to a 2D model over a finite region, the authors consider circuits consisting, not of conducting wires, but rather infinitely-long, conducting, hollow square cylinders with discontinuities on the boundary that represent voltage sources and resistances. Here's an example of the Poynting flow due to a battery connected to two resistors in series:
1687474535693.png

Evidently, the flow of energy spreads out from the source (the battery) to fill the space enclosed by the circuit and then converges into the sinks (the resistors). Of course, the details of 3D Poynting flow in the vicinity of a circuit of wires is more involved, but we can still anticipate that the lines of flow spread well away from the wires to fill both the interior and exterior of the circuit.

Likes vanhees71
I note this is an undergrad research paper from 2000. Way to go Oberlin College. Great idea.

Likes vanhees71
So, the analysis given suggest the power lines at the top of the poles are transmitting energy across the street? I will look into the reference given but at present I don't see any scale of watts/cm^3 at a given distance.

Joseph M. Zias said:
So, the analysis given suggest the power lines at the top of the poles are transmitting energy across the street?
Not true, at least to the extent that we can ignore the energy that's lost as heat in the power lines. Per the plot, no energy streamlines begin or end on the "power lines" themselves (i.e., the outer box, which is modeled as a perfect conductor), so no energy flows between any of the (perfect) conductors.
I don't see any scale of watts/cm^3 at a given distance.
(Note that your units here are misstated because they denote power per unit-volume. The Poynting vector tangent to the streamlines has units of power per unit-area or ##W/m^{2}## in SI units.) There are no units shown on the plot, but the text of Morris & Styer states:
1687662213447.png

so the spatial scale of the plot is established. But lacking something like a color scale that distinguishes the power flow in individual streamlines, the most we can say is that an overall power ##I^{2}R=0.5\text {W}## is delivered across space via 15 streamlines from the battery to each resistor. From that, depending on where you draw your cross-section and the distance between streamlines, from the plot you can guesstimate the average power flowing per unit-area.

Last edited:

1. What is power flow outside a wire?

Power flow outside a wire refers to the electromagnetic energy that is emitted from a wire and travels through the surrounding space. This energy is in the form of an electromagnetic field, which consists of both electric and magnetic components.

2. How far does power flow outside a wire extend?

The distance that power flows outside a wire depends on various factors such as the current flowing through the wire, the frequency of the current, and the surrounding environment. In general, the power flow extends a few inches to several feet from the wire.

3. Is power flow outside a wire harmful?

The power flow outside a wire is generally considered to be safe. However, if the current is high enough, it can cause interference with electronic devices or even pose a risk of electric shock. It is always important to follow safety precautions when dealing with electricity.

4. How can power flow outside a wire be measured?

Power flow outside a wire can be measured using a device called a Gaussmeter, which measures the strength of the magnetic field. It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the voltage or current in the wire and using mathematical equations to calculate the power flow.

5. Can power flow outside a wire be controlled?

Power flow outside a wire can be controlled to some extent by using shielding materials or by changing the design of the wire. However, it is not possible to completely eliminate power flow outside a wire as it is a natural consequence of electricity flowing through a conductor.