Power needed to push a toy car up an incline at constant speed

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
tsw99
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I encountered this past exam paper question in Hong Kong when I was giving tutorial to a high school student. I am confused with the answer provided by the official authority. The question is (in exact wordings):

An electrical toy car of mass m goes up an inclined plane of inclination 30° with constant speed v. The friction acting on the car is half of the weight of the car. What is the average power of the car?
A. 1/2 mgv B. mgv C. 3/2 mgv D. 2mgv

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


The friction f provides by the ground to propel the car is exactly canceled by the component of weight down the inclined plane, hence the power is fv which is equal to mg(sin30°)v=1/2 mgv which is A. However the official answer is B. I have no idea how to arrive at the answer B and I believe the authority must have their own grounds. I even think that B is a "trap" choice when I first read this question.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like "the friction acting on the car" here refers to friction that is retarding the motion of the car, and not the friction you mention that is propelling the car forward.

Hope that helps.
 
Redbelly98 said:
It sounds like "the friction acting on the car" here refers to friction that is retarding the motion of the car, and not the friction you mention that is propelling the car forward.

Hope that helps.

Yours is a probable answer. Does that mean the car is skidding up the incline? So the friction does not provide the force to travel upward?
Frankly speaking, I never saw an electric toy car travels in this way. I believe it is a poorly set question.
 
Generally speaking, contact friction, such as between the tire and the ground is not considered to do work.

The friction acting to impede the car as it goes up the ramp would likely be from the non-driven wheel-axle system and perhaps some piece of the car dragging on the ground.
 
tsw99 said:
Yours is a probable answer. Does that mean the car is skidding up the incline? So the friction does not provide the force to travel upward?
Frankly speaking, I never saw an electric toy car travels in this way. I believe it is a poorly set question.
SammyS provided a good explanation, so I'll just add that no, I did not mean the car is skidding. Friction between the wheel and ground does provide the force to propel the car, however that is not the friction being referred to in the problem statement.