Power of a man cycling up a hill.

  • Thread starter Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hill Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
AJKing
Messages
104
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



What power must a man of mass 85 kg have to bicycle 850m up a hill, inclined at 5.2 degrees to the horizontal, at a constant speed of 15.6 m/s? The force of friction on the man and the bicycle is 175N parallel to the incline.

m = 85 kg

d = 850m

dy = 850m * sin5.2

v = 15.6 m/s

Ff = 175N

Homework Equations



P = W/t

t = d/v

Wnet = Fnetd = KE

KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

The Attempt at a Solution



Old solution:
W = KE2 + PE2 = 1/2mv2 + mg(850sin5.2)

P = (1/2mv2 + mgdy)/(d/v)

P = (1/2*85*15.62 + 85*9.8*850sin5.2)/(850/15.6) = 1400 WAm I correct? I feel strange having not used Ff. But I assumed it would have already been included in the constant velocity.
New Solution:

Wnet = KE2-KE1

KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2 + Eh

Wnet = - PE2 - Eh

P = (-PE2 - Eh)/(d/v)

P = (-85*9.8*850sin5.2 - (-175*850))/(850/15.6) = 1600 W
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As power=F*v (force times velocity) your second solution is correct.

ehild
 
ehild said:
As power=F*v (force times velocity) your second solution is correct.

ehild

Thank you, I didn't know that.