Power series solution, differential equation question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach solving a differential equation with a power series solution when the differential does not equal zero. It is suggested to use the particular solution plus complementary function approach and that particular solutions can be found using variation of parameters or by inspection. It is also mentioned that the right hand side of the equation may make it more difficult to find a closed form expression for the sum.
Honey Bee
I can not find a solid explanation on this anywhere, so forgive me if this has been addressed already.

Given something like y''+y'-(x^2)y=1 or y''+2xy'-y=x, how do I approach solving a differential with a power series solution when the differential does not equal zero?

Would I solve the left hand side as normally with series substitution as if it were equal to zero, then expand it out and equate the coefficients with the right hand side? Or would I just expand it out after substituting the series for y and then equate the coefficients?

Also, if I set it equal to zero and solve it, would this be a complimentary/homogeneous solution, meaning I would have to solve for a particular solution? If so, how should I solve for the particular solution?

I want to thank everyone in advance for their considerations. I know this is a basic question, but I have no clarification on it and it is leaving me frustrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honey Bee said:
I can not find a solid explanation on this anywhere, so forgive me if this has been addressed already.

Given something like y''+y'-(x^2)y=1 or y''+2xy'-y=x, how do I approach solving a differential with a power series solution when the differential does not equal zero?

Would I solve the left hand side as normally with series substitution as if it were equal to zero, then expand it out and equate the coefficients with the right hand side?

Or would I just expand it out after substituting the series for y and then equate the coefficient

Also, if I set it equal to zero and solve it, would this be a complimentary/homogeneous solution, meaning I would have to solve for a particular solution? If so, how should I solve for the particular solution?

I would use the particular solution plus complementary function approach.

You can find particular solutions using variation of parameters or by inspection: for example [itex]y = x[/itex] is a solution of [itex]y'' + 2xy' - y = x[/itex].

In theory you can just plug in the series representation of y, and equate the coefficients. Your right hand side will however make sure that you have to split up your sum so that you don't have one nice sum going from zero to infinity. This will make it a bit harder to find a closed form expression for your sum(if it exists).

1. What is a power series solution to a differential equation?

A power series solution is a method used to solve a differential equation by expressing the solution as a series of terms with increasing powers of the independent variable. This allows for an infinite number of terms and provides a more accurate solution compared to other methods.

2. When is a power series solution applicable?

A power series solution is applicable when the coefficients of the differential equation are constant and the solution can be expressed as a series of terms. It is commonly used for solving initial value problems and boundary value problems.

3. How is a power series solution calculated?

A power series solution is calculated by first substituting the series into the differential equation and then solving for the coefficients of each term. This typically involves using Taylor's series and finding the derivative of the series.

4. What are the advantages of using a power series solution?

One advantage of using a power series solution is that it can provide a more accurate solution compared to other methods. It also allows for flexibility in choosing the number of terms used in the series, allowing for a more precise solution if needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using a power series solution?

One limitation of using a power series solution is that it may not always converge to an exact solution, especially if the differential equation has singularities or irregular behavior. It also requires a lot of computational power and may not be the most efficient method for solving certain types of differential equations.