Power supplied by capacitor bank

In summary, a capacitor bank is supplying power to a bus, but the injected power is defined as positive. The current is assumed to flow in one direction, but when calculating the reactive power it is assumed that the current flows out of the bus.
LagCompensator
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi,

I have the following circuit, where V2 is found to be 0.964∠-3.3 (degrees) p.u.

Then I am to find the reactive power supplied by the capacitor bank (j0.25 p.u, to the right). I got the right number, but with wrong sign, could anyone parhaps tell me if my proposal at the end here is correct?

Calculations:

Current down the capacitor branch:
[itex]I_{c} = V_{2} \times Y_{c} = (0.964 \angle-3.3) \times j0.25 = 0.241 \angle 86.7 p.u.\\
S = V \times I^{*} \rightarrow S_{c} = V_{2} \times I_{c}^{*} = 0.964 \angle(-3.3) \times 0.241 \angle(-86.7) = -j0.2323 p.u.
[/itex]

So I get that Q = -0.2323, however it should have been positive since the bank is supplying the bus with power, and since injected power into a bus is defined positive.

So then I guess that current is defined as positive when entering the bus, and negative when leaving, and because of that I_c should be calculated like this instead:

[itex]I_{c} = (0 - V_{2}) \times Y_{c} [/itex]

Thanks for any feedback.

Best regards
test.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it really the reactance of capacitor?
I think there is mistake in question
the reactance of capacitor is always given by (-j/wC) where w is angular frequqncy...If we solve the value for C, we get a negative value...
So, I think there is mistake in question

Alpharup said:
Is it really the reactance of capacitor?
I think there is mistake in question
the reactance of capacitor is always given by (-j/wC) where w is angular frequqncy...If we solve the value for C, we get a negative value...
So, I think there is mistake in question

j0.25 is the admittance not impedance, so if I solve the value for C, I get a positive value.

[itex]Y = \frac{1}{Z} \rightarrow Z = \frac{1}{Y} = \frac{1}{j0.25} = -j4
\\
Z = \frac{1}{j\omega C} = -j4 \rightarrow C = \frac{1}{4 \times \omega}
[/itex]

I did not write that it was the admittance, I just wrote Y instead of Z in the equations, I should have been more clear.

When you calculated the current for the capacitor bank, what direction was the assumed current?

If the the bank is supplying power, what direction should the assumed current be?

When I calculated and got the wrong sign I did the following:

[itex](V_2-V_{Ground}) \times Y_c[/itex]
When I do it like this I am assuming the current leaves the bus, which should not be the case, therefore I should do it like this:
[itex](V_{Ground}-V_2) \times Y_c[/itex]
Doing it this way assumes that current flows into the bus.

Is my way of thinking OK? I'm new to "electrical stuff", and therefore I sometimes fail at stuff like this.

LagCompensator said:
When I calculated and got the wrong sign I did the following:

[itex](V_2-V_{Ground}) \times Y_c[/itex]
When I do it like this I am assuming the current leaves the bus, which should not be the case, therefore I should do it like this:
[itex](V_{Ground}-V_2) \times Y_c[/itex]
Doing it this way assumes that current flows into the bus.

Is my way of thinking OK? I'm new to "electrical stuff", and therefore I sometimes fail at stuff like this.
Yes, that would be the right way to look at it.

I think you should look at the definition and formula of S(reactive power) for clarity.

What is a capacitor bank?

A capacitor bank is a group of capacitors connected in parallel or series and used to store and release electrical energy. It is commonly used to improve the power factor and stability of an electrical system.

How does a capacitor bank work?

A capacitor bank works by storing energy in the form of an electric field between two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, the electric field is formed, and the capacitor stores energy. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor releases the stored energy back into the circuit.

What is the purpose of a capacitor bank?

The main purpose of a capacitor bank is to improve the power factor of an electrical system. It helps to balance the reactive power (kVAR) with the active power (kW), which results in a more efficient use of electricity and reduces energy losses in the system. It also helps to stabilize the voltage and reduce voltage fluctuations.

How is power supplied by a capacitor bank measured?

The power supplied by a capacitor bank is measured in kilovolt-ampere reactive (kVAR). This unit represents the reactive power absorbed or generated by the capacitor bank. It is usually measured using a power factor meter or a power analyzer.

What are the benefits of using a capacitor bank?

Using a capacitor bank has several benefits, including improving the power factor, reducing energy losses, stabilizing voltage, and increasing the efficiency of the electrical system. It also helps to extend the lifespan of equipment, reduce maintenance costs, and improve the overall reliability of the system.