1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A basic math question about the current in a capacitor

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    The current in a capacitor is calculated from

[itex]i_{C}(t)=C \dfrac{dv_{C}(t)}{dt}[/itex]​

when [itex]i_{C}(t)[/itex] is the current in the capacitor, [itex]t[/itex] is the time variable, [itex]C[/itex] is the capacitance and [itex]v_{C}(t)[/itex] is the capacitor's voltage.
    This equation can also be expressed, using [itex]\omega t[/itex] as the variable, as

[itex]i_{C}(\omega t)=\omega C \dfrac{dv_{C}(\omega t)}{d(\omega t)}[/itex]​

Now my basic question is why there's a multiplication in [itex]\omega[/itex]? That is, why is it correct to multiply when changing in independent variable and multiplying in by frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]? Seemingly, the new variable, [itex]\omega t[/itex], is derived in the same manner as [itex]t[/itex] is derived when the function uses only [itex]t[/itex] as the independent variable.
    I don't quite understand this little issue. Hope someone could explain that in a sentence.

Thanks in advance! :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Adir_Sh! :smile:
    chain rule

dvC/dt

= dvC/d(ωt)*d(ωt)/dt

= dvC/d(ωt)*ω :wink:

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Realize that d(wt) = w dt and you have your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted