1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Powers analisys for ball stuck in a Chimney

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    Hi,

If we'll build a chimney from 2 walls with a decreasing width (meaning, the length between the walls gets smaller as we go down the chimney, since the walls both have a small slope), and then throw a ball down that chimney, it would get stuck.
    I am having hard time computing the forces that cause this affect. in order to resist the gravity, it seams I need very strong normal force (going to infinity as the slope goes to 0).
    but when I try to express mg by perpendicular and Tangent vectors, I receive values smaller then mg (and obviously not going to infinity).

can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    You are solving the problem without friction. In a real chimney, it would be friction acting tangentially to the wall, not a balanced force acting normal to the wall. Your answer is correct- a frictionless ball in a nearly parallel chimney would get stuck at a place with nearly infinite compressive forces on it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook