Powers analisys for ball stuck in a Chimney

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of building a chimney with decreasing width and throwing a ball down it. The problem is being solved without friction and it is concluded that the ball would get stuck due to the nearly infinite compressive forces acting on it.
sronen20
Hi,

If we'll build a chimney from 2 walls with a decreasing width (meaning, the length between the walls gets smaller as we go down the chimney, since the walls both have a small slope), and then throw a ball down that chimney, it would get stuck.
I am having hard time computing the forces that cause this affect. in order to resist the gravity, it seams I need very strong normal force (going to infinity as the slope goes to 0).
but when I try to express mg by perpendicular and Tangent vectors, I receive values smaller then mg (and obviously not going to infinity).

can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
sronen20 said:
Hi,

If we'll build a chimney from 2 walls with a decreasing width (meaning, the length between the walls gets smaller as we go down the chimney, since the walls both have a small slope), and then throw a ball down that chimney, it would get stuck.
I am having hard time computing the forces that cause this affect. in order to resist the gravity, it seams I need very strong normal force (going to infinity as the slope goes to 0).
but when I try to express mg by perpendicular and Tangent vectors, I receive values smaller then mg (and obviously not going to infinity).

can someone help?

You are solving the problem without friction. In a real chimney, it would be friction acting tangentially to the wall, not a balanced force acting normal to the wall. Your answer is correct- a frictionless ball in a nearly parallel chimney would get stuck at a place with nearly infinite compressive forces on it.

What is "Powers analysis"?

"Powers analysis" is a scientific method used to study the forces and energy involved in a specific situation, such as a ball stuck in a chimney. It involves breaking down and analyzing the different factors that contribute to the situation and calculating the amount of force or energy involved.

Why would a ball get stuck in a chimney?

There are several factors that could contribute to a ball getting stuck in a chimney. It could be due to the size or shape of the ball not allowing it to pass through the chimney, or there could be obstructions or obstacles in the chimney preventing the ball from moving freely.

How does Powers analysis help with a ball stuck in a chimney?

Powers analysis can help determine the amount of force needed to dislodge the ball from the chimney and the best approach to do so. It takes into account factors such as the weight and size of the ball, the materials and structure of the chimney, and any other relevant variables to come up with a solution.

What tools are needed for Powers analysis of a ball stuck in a chimney?

To conduct a Powers analysis for a ball stuck in a chimney, you will need measuring tools such as a ruler or tape measure, a scale to determine the weight of the ball, and possibly a calculator for calculations. You may also need specialized tools depending on the situation, such as a camera for inspecting the chimney or a pulley system for moving the ball.

Is Powers analysis the only way to remove a ball stuck in a chimney?

No, Powers analysis is not the only way to remove a ball stuck in a chimney. There are other methods that can be used, such as physical force or using specialized equipment. Powers analysis is just one approach that can be helpful in determining the most efficient and effective way to remove the ball from the chimney.