1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pozitron-Electron interaction(anihilation)

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A given pozitron with T kinetic energy is approaching an electron bound to a hard nucleus(in the K energy level, and the ionization energy for this level, Ek(>0), is given).
    The energy of the two resulting photons is to be determined.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of energy.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I wrote the conservation of energy as follows:
    2m0c2 + T = 2ε + Ek ( ε is the energy of one photon )
    Let me explain my way of thinking: After the anihilation, the electron has vanished, so the atom has become a ion(so it's energy has increased by Ek).

However, the proposers of the problem consider the conservation of energy as follows:
    2m0c2 + T + Ek = 2ε;

So who is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If Ek is defined to be positive, it should be subtracted on the left side (or added on the right side).
    Otherwise you can violate energy conservation: Take a free electron, let it get caught by a nucleus (emitting energy). Add a free positron, and get more than 2*511keV as energy => you gained the binding energy two times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook