1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practical uses of oscillator damping

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi guys,

The title says it all pretty much. I need to know a handful of practical uses for each of the following, in the context of oscillatory motion (springs, pendulums etc):
    1) light damping
    2) critical damping
    3) heavy damping

2. Relevant equations

Light damping: w0^2 > 1/4 gamma^2
    Heavy damping: w0^2 < 1/4 gamma^2
    critical damping: w0^2 = 1/4 gamma^2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are some of the examples that you've thought of so far? I can think of a number of examples, but this is your schoolwork assignment, so you should be doing the work...

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Ah, you see it isnt my school work, im revising for my exam. I put it in the "General physics" thread earlier and it got deleted from there...so i put it here :(

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    As for examples, vehicle suspension is (i think) an example of critical damping. An automatic door closer thingy is an example of heavy damping maybe? I dont really know

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5

berkeman

That does not matter. *All* schoolwork-type questions go here in the Homework Help forums, and you are required to show your work toward a solution. That applies to points-paying homework, and it applies to studying problems in preparation for exams. We do not spoon-feed students here. You are required to show some effort.

Please post your work and thoughts on this problem.

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6

berkeman

That's a start. Think about more examples involving vehicle systems... All kinds of vehicles...

8. Apr 17, 2013 #7
    Whoa...hold up buddy, i wouldnt be doing a degree if I'm not willing to put in the effort lol... if you arent gona answer then its cool, i'll wait for someone to answer it or I'll move on, i havent got time to waste

9. Apr 17, 2013 #8

berkeman

No, we do not give answers to schoolwork questions. If you're not going to show effort, this thread is done.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook