Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prandtl-Meyer Function Iteration

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    hi.. i'm trying to write a matlab code that will iterate the mach value given a certain value for nu.

nu = sqrt((gamma +1)/(gamma -1))*atan(sqrt((gamma - 1)/(gamma +1)*(M^2-1)))-atan(sqrt(M^2-1))

this is the equation for the prandtl-meyer function, but how do i write it in matlab so that i can extract the value of nu for a given M value? sort of like the goal seak function in excel...

i would appreciate anyone's help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    I don't know of any built-in MATLAB function that does this for you (without any additional toolboxes, that is), but that doesn't mean there isn't one...

I would look into something like the Newton-Raphson's method (but there are many others). The wikipedia article on Newton's Method is pretty good, and at the bottom is a list of similar algorithms. It's not difficult to write some algorithm like this for MATLAB.

-Kerry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook