Pre Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2

In summary, if you want to do Pre-Calculus online with the 2nd semester Algebra 2, you will need to take Pre-Calculus as a class and then take Calculus AB 1st semester and Calculus BC 2nd semester. If you want to do college algebra online with 2nd semester Algebra 2, you will need to take Pre-Calculus online 1st semester, and then take Calculus AB with Pre-Calculus.
Atom1
Hi, I am wondering if it would be better to do Pre-Calculus online with the 2nd semester Algebra 2. Or take college algebra online with 2nd semester Algebra 2.

If I go the Pre-Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2, my senior year I will be taking Calculus AB 1st semester and Calculus BC 2nd semester.

If I go the college algebra online with 2nd semester Algebra 2, my senior year I will be taking Pre-Calculus as a class, and Pre-Calculus online 1st semester. And then 2nd semester take Calculus AB with Pre-Calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
How good are you at algebra? Do you find the exams easy? College algebra will be the whole of algebra, but it sounds like you already know most of that, you are finishing it now with the second half of Algebra 2. If you want to go over it again, do the college algebra, but if you don't struggle with algebra, then look at precalculus online. Just remember, precalculus is not needed for calculus, you'll learn everything you need to know in calculus. So it would be possible to do the college algebra and then go straight on to calculus. But it also depends on what your school allows.

Speaking from my own personal experience, college algebra was barely even comparable to algebra 2. Yes, it was still algebra, but the concepts in college algebra were far more rigorous and in depth than the material I covered in algebra 1 and 2. That may simply be due to the professor, but college algebra touched on a lot of subjects that I never covered in my algebra 1 or 2 classes. We never looked at conics, logarithms, exponential functions, or matrices until I got to college algebra.

I never took pre-calc though. I took college algebra, and a separate trigonometry class. I feel like the two separate courses made for a much more thorough preparation for calculus. I'm currently in calc 1, and there are a lot of people struggling in it. It isn't because of the calculus though, it's because of the algebra. There's a lot of algebra involved in finding derivatives and limits.

That said, if you're reasonably competent with algebraic manipulation, you should be fine either way.

QuantumCurt said:
We never looked at conics, logarithms, exponential functions, or matrices until I got to college algebra.
Yikes. In some schools all of that should be covered in Algebra 2. In my case, I remember learning conics, logarithms, and exponential functions in Algebra 2. We didn't get to matrices, though (and I didn't see matrices until senior year!).

QuantumCurt said:
I never took pre-calc though. I took college algebra, and a separate trigonometry class.
In the eyes of some schools, however, you did take pre-calculus.
Pre-calculus = College algebra + trigonometry
... and in some Pre-calculus courses, a little discrete math is also thrown in.
(Note: when I say "trigonometry," I really mean trigonometry and analytic geometry.)

I cannot make a personal recommendation on which option would be better for you. However, I can provide some information to help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to note that both Pre-Calculus and college algebra are important foundational courses for Calculus. Both courses cover similar topics such as functions, graphs, and equations. However, Pre-Calculus typically goes more in-depth and covers additional topics such as trigonometry and complex numbers.

If you feel confident in your understanding of Algebra 2 and are comfortable with self-study, then taking Pre-Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2 may be a good option for you. This will allow you to have a solid understanding of Pre-Calculus before moving on to Calculus AB and BC in your senior year.

On the other hand, if you feel that you may need more support and guidance in Pre-Calculus, taking it as a class in your senior year may be a better option. This will also allow you to have a dedicated time each day to focus on the course and ask any questions you may have.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your individual learning style and needs. Whichever option you choose, make sure to stay dedicated and put in the necessary effort to fully understand the material. This will set you up for success in Calculus and any future math courses.

What is Pre Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2?

Pre Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2 is a course that combines concepts from Algebra 2 and Pre Calculus, typically taken during the second semester of the school year. It covers topics such as functions, equations, inequalities, trigonometry, and more.

Who is this course designed for?

This course is designed for students who have completed Algebra 1 and 2 and are looking to further their understanding of mathematics before taking Calculus. It is also beneficial for students who need a refresher on Algebra 2 topics before moving on to Pre Calculus.

What are the benefits of taking Pre Calculus online?

Taking Pre Calculus online allows for flexibility in scheduling and the ability to work at your own pace. It also provides access to a variety of resources and tools, including online tutorials, practice problems, and virtual calculators.

What are the key concepts covered in this course?

The key concepts covered in Pre Calculus online with 2nd semester Algebra 2 include functions and their graphs, polynomial and rational functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometry, and conic sections. These concepts build upon the foundational knowledge of Algebra 2 and prepare students for more advanced math courses.

What are some tips for success in this course?

To be successful in this course, it is important to stay organized, attend online lectures and discussions, complete practice problems, and ask questions when needed. It is also helpful to review Algebra 2 concepts before starting the course to ensure a strong understanding of the foundational material.