1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pre Reqs for physics/engineering

1. Aug 9, 2015 #1
    I desire to go to school for a combination of physics and engineering degrees. Where can I start in order to find some viable information on what classes I need for pre reqs in order to gain access to the school of choice Caltech? To clarify I am starting from a high school diploma with no prior schooling after that, but with a deep fascination for math, innovation, and how things work. Are there ways to test past a lot of the pre req classes if you have self taught yourself most of them if not all of them already?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A combination of physics and engineering degrees? What does that mean?

Have you applied to Caltech? You aren't going to be able to "test out" of anything really, unless the school of choice offers placement exams.

Your best bet is to apply and get accepted.

4. Aug 9, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Caltech is one of the best STEM schools out there, and certainly one of the most competitive. So you better have very good credentials when you apply there. This means: you need to have good grades on challenging classes. If you don't have those, then you should maybe go to a community college to try to improve your record. Then you can always try to transfer to caltech. But there are never guarantees, so be sure to have a Plan B ready.

5. Aug 9, 2015 #4
    A combination meaning having double majors and double degrees in physics and engineering as they compliment each other. Obviously this will take a long time but time I have that available.

I have not applied but am in communications with their admissions advisers.

6. Aug 9, 2015 #5
    Great input thanks you I will keep that in mind for sure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook