Precentral Gyrus Stimulation and Voluntary movement

• Medical
  • Thread starter ragarth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the statement about the precentral gyrus in The Encyclopaedia Britannica Guide to the Brain suggests that when stimulated, it can produce involuntary movements on the opposite side of the body that the patient interprets as voluntary. However, there may be contradictory experiences depending on the circumstances of the experiment. This raises doubts about the accuracy and credibility of the book.
ragarth
Hiya, I'm currently reading The Encyclopaedia Britannica Guide to the Brain and I came across a statement about the precentral gyrus that I'd like to find corroboration for:

"When parts of the gyrus are electrically stimulated in conscious patients (under local anaesthesia), they produce localized movements on the opposite side of the body that are interpreted by the patient as voluntary"

When I read this, it makes me think that, if asked, the patient would state they are consciously making the movement generated by the electrical stimulus. Is this correct, and does anyone know of an experiment where this has been verified?

Biology news on Phys.org
The case where I've seen the experiment performed (it was a popular science quiz t.v. show) the subjects did not think it was voluntary, but more like a reflex such as when you get hit by a hammer on the knee (but I can imagine that the circumstances in which the experiment is performed can greatly influence the experience of the subject).

Humm, how should I interpret that statement then? I'm rapidly losing trust in this book, this would make the 2nd statement in under 30 pages that is either factually false or stupendously misleading.

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your post.

1. What is the Precentral Gyrus and its role in voluntary movement?

The Precentral Gyrus is a region in the frontal lobe of the brain that is responsible for initiating and controlling voluntary movements. It is also known as the primary motor cortex and is involved in planning, coordinating, and executing voluntary movements of the body.

2. How does stimulation of the Precentral Gyrus affect voluntary movement?

Stimulation of the Precentral Gyrus can improve voluntary movement by increasing the excitability of neurons in this area. This can lead to a stronger and more coordinated contraction of muscles involved in the movement.

3. What conditions can benefit from Precentral Gyrus stimulation for voluntary movement?

Precentral Gyrus stimulation can be beneficial for conditions such as Parkinson's disease, stroke, and spinal cord injuries, where there is a decrease in voluntary movement control. It can also be used in research studies to understand the brain's role in voluntary movement.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with Precentral Gyrus stimulation for voluntary movement?

As with any brain stimulation procedure, there are potential risks and side effects. These may include headaches, dizziness, and temporary changes in sensation or movement. However, these are usually mild and temporary.

5. How is Precentral Gyrus stimulation for voluntary movement performed?

Precentral Gyrus stimulation is typically performed through a non-invasive method called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). TMS uses a magnetic field to stimulate the neurons in the Precentral Gyrus, and the effects can be measured through changes in muscle activity. In some cases, invasive methods such as deep brain stimulation may also be used.