Predicted sizes of (observable) universe

In summary, scientists estimate that the observable universe has a diameter of approximately 93 billion light-years, with a volume of 4 x 10^80 cubic meters. This is based on the current understanding of the universe's expansion rate and density. The observable universe consists of all the matter, energy, and light that can be seen or detected by us. However, it is believed that the entire universe may be much larger and possibly infinite, but beyond our ability to observe or measure. The predicted size of the observable universe continues to be refined and expanded as new technologies and discoveries are made.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I have read the advice of Nugatory and Jorrie in order to get me started on understanding cosmology; I have played around with the cited calculators (except http://www.einsteins-theory-of-relativity-4engineers.com/CosmoLean_A20.html doesn't open for me), without mastering them, and read for a few hours. It may take me until the Heat Death of the universe to understand much of it, but I will start with a couple of very elementary questions. I refer to the simplified graph in the attachment. (a) We are talking about the red line, I presume, based on present knowledge? (b) Is "relative size" referring to comoving distance diameter, the proper distance diameter, or a volume? ("Size" is ambiguous.)
future size of universe.jpg

Space news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
(a) We are talking about the red line, I presume, based on present knowledge?
Yes. The red line is the only one that gives you a period of deceleration followed by acceleration.

nomadreid said:
(b) Is "relative size" referring to comoving distance diameter, the proper distance diameter, or a volume? ("Size" is ambiguous.)
That is the scale factor ##a(t)##. The factor by which all distances* differ from today's (it's scaled to 1 being 'like today').
Comoving distances by definition don't change with expansion.
Proper distance and comoving distance are related by ##d(t)=a(t)x_0## where the comoving distance ##x_0## is defined as the proper distance at the present epoch.

So, if the proper distance to the stuff that today is at the edge of the observable universe is 45 Gly, it is also the comoving distance to it. To get the proper distance to that same stuff at some time in the past when the scale factor was equal to 1/1000th, you just multiply 45 Gly by 1/1000th.

*large scale only

(btw, Jorrie's calculator doesn't open for me either today. Perhaps the website is temporarily down.)

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Bandersnatch said:
(btw, Jorrie's calculator doesn't open for me either today. Perhaps the website is temporarily down.)
Sorry guys, due to a lost and blocked credit card, my hosting did not renew and I realized too late. :( Working on it...

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Bandersnatch! (and good luck, Jorrie.) So, if I may try a simple calculation from the graph, in 20 billion years, the comoving distance will add 20 Gly to the present 45 Gly, totalling 65 Gly comoving distance, but then taking the factor of 3 from the graph, the proper distance will be 45+3(20) =105 Gly?

Does a(t) follow a particular formula that could be used to extrapolate forward in time beyond the limits of this graph, or would that be too speculative?

nomadreid said:
Thanks, Bandersnatch! (and good luck, Jorrie.)
The site is up and running again ;) BTW, use the link in my signature below. The one that you quoted should still work, but it is quite ancient by the pace of developments today...

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
So, if I may try a simple calculation from the graph, in 20 billion years, the comoving distance will add 20 Gly to the present 45 Gly, totalling 65 Gly comoving distance, but then taking the factor of 3 from the graph, the proper distance will be 45+3(20) =105 Gly?
No, I don't think it works like that. You simply take the scale factor off the graph, a(t=now+20) ~ 3 and multiply the present proper distance by that. So it is 3 times 45 = 135 Gly.

But take note that this is just the future proper distance to a hypothetical emitter that happens to be 45 Gly from us at the moment. We have never and will never observe such an emitter, except if we are able to detect gravitational waves from there in the future. It is also not the radius of the observable universe, because it grows by a different 'law'.

I have summarized all the equations that Lightcone7 use in this Insights post: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lightcone7-tutorial-part-iii-things-computed/
Ask if not clear.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
Does a(t) follow a particular formula that could be used to extrapolate forward in time beyond the limits of this graph, or would that be too speculative?
I had to search quite a way back, but George Jones has previously posted a generalized equation for the evolution of a(t), valid for a spatially flat universe with negligible radiation energy.
[tex]a\left(t\right) = A \sinh^{\frac{2}{3}} \left(Bt\right)[/tex]
[tex]A = \left( \frac{1 - \Omega_{\Lambda 0}}{\Omega_{\Lambda 0}} \right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]B = \frac{3}{2} H_0 \sqrt{\Omega_{\Lambda 0}} [/tex]
If t is in Gyr, then Ho must be in Gyr-1 and [itex]\Omega_{\Lambda 0}[/itex] is the present density parameter of the cosmological constant (0.69).

This gives a(t) = 3.37 at 20 Gyr into the future (t=33.8 Gyr).

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Jorrie said:
I had to search quite a way back, but George Jones has previously posted a generalized equation for the evolution of a(t), valid for a spatially flat universe with negligible radiation energy.
[tex]a\left(t\right) = A \sinh^{\frac{2}{3}} \left(Bt\right)[/tex]
[tex]A = \left( \frac{1 - \Omega_{\Lambda 0}}{\Omega_{\Lambda 0}} \right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]B = \frac{3}{2} H_0 \sqrt{\Omega_{\Lambda 0}} [/tex]
If t is in Gyr, then Ho must be in Gyr-1 and [itex]\Omega_{\Lambda 0}[/itex] is the present density parameter of the cosmological constant (0.69).

This gives a(t) = 3.37 at 20 Gyr into the future (t=33.8 Gyr).
Something seems wrong there. In the limit that ##\Omega_\Lambda = 1##, ##a(t) = 0##. It should be ##a(t) = e^{H_0 t}##. The result also diverges for ##\Omega_\Lambda = 0##.

Likes nomadreid
Chalnoth said:
Something seems wrong there. In the limit that ##\Omega_\Lambda = 1##, ##a(t) = 0##. It should be ##a(t) = e^{H_0 t}##. The result also diverges for ##\Omega_\Lambda = 0##.

George did have the caveat: "For a spatially flat universe that consists of matter and dark energy (w = -1), but no radiation, "...

I think the presence of matter invalidates ##a(t) = e^{H_0 t}##.

Likes nomadreid
Jorrie said:
George did have the caveat: "For a spatially flat universe that consists of matter and dark energy (w = -1), but no radiation, "...

I think the presence of matter invalidates ##a(t) = e^{H_0 t}##.
Sure, but it should at least approach that in the limit. I don't think it does. Therefore, I'm pretty sure this solution is approximate rather than exact. Or there's a typo somewhere.

Likes nomadreid
Chalnoth said:
Sure, but it should at least approach that in the limit. I don't think it does. Therefore, I'm pretty sure this solution is approximate rather than exact. Or there's a typo somewhere.
It is approximate due to the presence of radiation, so it cannot be used for the early universe. As radiation diminishes it becomes more and more accurate. Further, for a flat universe, ##\Omega_\Lambda## approaches but never reaches 1 in the distant future. So I think the accuracy is maintained forever, well almost...

Likes nomadreid
Jorrie said:
It is approximate due to the presence of radiation, so it cannot be used for the early universe. As radiation diminishes it becomes more and more accurate. Further, for a flat universe, ##\Omega_\Lambda## approaches but never reaches 1 in the distant future. So I think the accuracy is maintained forever, well almost...
My analysis of the extreme cases doesn't assume any radiation.

Likes nomadreid
Chalnoth said:
My analysis of the extreme cases doesn't assume any radiation.
OK, we can split hairs, or just put an approx sign instead of the equality; but George's conditions don't quite allow the extreme cases.

In any case, I hope it answers the OP's question adequately.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks for all that, Jorrie and Chalnoth! It is taking me a while to work through all this (and annoying details like work get in the way of this more enjoyable activity), but your answers will be a tremendous help in getting me to understand the topic better. I am very grateful.

1. How is the size of the observable universe determined?

The size of the observable universe is determined by measuring the distance to the furthest objects we can see, which are known as the cosmic microwave background radiation. This distance is estimated to be about 46.5 billion light-years in all directions.

2. Can the size of the observable universe change over time?

Yes, the size of the observable universe can change over time. This is because the universe is constantly expanding, meaning the distance to the furthest objects we can see is also increasing.

3. What is the estimated size of the observable universe?

The estimated size of the observable universe is about 93 billion light-years in diameter. This is constantly changing as the universe expands.

4. How does the size of the observable universe compare to the entire universe?

The observable universe is just a small fraction of the entire universe. It is believed that the entire universe is much larger and may even be infinite in size.

5. Can we observe objects that are beyond the observable universe?

No, we cannot observe objects that are beyond the observable universe. This is because the light from these objects has not had enough time to reach us yet, due to the expansion of the universe.