1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Predicting outputs of f(x)=(1+i)^x

1. Jul 30, 2016 #1
    I got bored a while back and deiced to create a table of the integer inputs of f(x)=(1+i)^x and I noticed quiet a few patterns which I am trying to catalog here, although most of my work so far deal with Natural inputs, all patterns continue into the negative, see here, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any ideas on and possible ways or equations that I could use to predict future real parts or imaginary numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2016 #2
    The graph that you have is probably the logarithmic spiral. In order to get the real and imaginary parts of your equation, first convert it into polar form so that you can exponentiate it easily. You should end up with a parametric equation of a spiral.

4. Jul 30, 2016 #3
    Sorry a lot of that went over my head, could you give me it in more of laypeople terms?

5. Jul 30, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Jul 30, 2016 #5
    Thank you that should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted