Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

  • Thread starter Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Upcoming
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
137 replies · 15K views
But in some cases, the yellow is shown...some thought it was a bit severe from the ref's part. BTW, who else thinks that the French coach is lame?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
While its true that some yellows have been shown in those circumstances, the rules are clear that if the last man denies a goal soring opportunity then it should be a straight red.
 
I agree with red card. Disagree w/ Domenech being lame.
I think he needs to make more of his young talent. this is the end of an era for Les Bleus , however they have some incredible young talent in Nasri, Gomis and Benzema.
I hope those players can work to become as good as they possibly can and not sell out to a large contract to waste away on bench or reserve squad somewhere.

I definitely did not expect turkey to go through, props to them. I am excited for Port / Ger game as well as Spain / Italy (hope Spain annihilates them)
 
2-1 to germany (vs. portugal) at half-time. Very entertaining match.
 
I wouldn't have pegged Croatia to advance this far. Props to them
 
mgiddy911 said:
I wouldn't have pegged Croatia to advance this far. Props to them

I'd be more likely to have put my money on Croatia than Turkey!
 
cristo said:
I'd be more likely to have put my money on Croatia than Turkey!

In 2002 Turkey was very impressive. I'm not sure how they are this year, but recently those two national soccer teams seem to have comparable pedigrees.
 
George Jones said:
Will extra time settle it?

I don't think so, but the teams have been looking to make more chances in the last few minutes. Still, I do like a good penalty shootout, especially when I'm not supporting either of the teams!
 
Don't be surprised if Turkey sneak this. Really poor game though.
 
Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Don't be surprised if Turkey sneak this. Really poor game though.

Unbelievable finish.
 
Yes, they love leaving the entertainment until late.
 
Turkey is major underdog against Germany, look at all the (dare i say "key") players who are out.
 
Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to. If it had been some other team, maybe they would've underestimated them and turkey could've gone to the late periods of the game and do what they do best this championship, but I really believe Germany is too good a team.

Any thoughts on the upcoming Holland - Russia match?
 
*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Any thoughts on the upcoming Holland - Russia match?

Can only go with the Netherlands.
 
*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to.

Germany does manage to pull the occasional hickup like the loss to Romania in '98, and Austria in '78, or East Germany in '74. Germany also failed to make it out of the groups in euro '00 or '04.

That said, Turkey is hurt and tired while Germany are coming off of a huge win over Portugal.
 
Russia! Gooooooooaaaaal!

Edit: And another! 3-1 Russia with only a few minutes to go.
 
Last edited:
This was a very poorly officiated match. That withdrawn yellow card highlighted it. A referee should NEVER show a card unless he really means it.
 
NB: I am not saying the ref threw the game. Russia deserved that win. The center ref just did a bad job. He repeatedly called fouls that weren't and missed fouls that were. Russia should have had a PK earlier. That was a blatant takedown in the box.
 


The Turks have done it again: scored a goal in the last few minutes. They'll go on and win this now... unless it goes to penalties, then you've got to tip the Germans!
 


*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to. If it had been some other team, maybe they would've underestimated them and turkey could've gone to the late periods of the game and do what they do best this championship, but I really believe Germany is too good a team.

90 minutes. Germany had the lead for all of 7 of them, 10 if they manage to hold on to their lead.
 


Well what a match. Turkey certainly don't know when they are beaten. They should of perhaps won.
 


I don't understand how a 5'7" 140lbs defender can compete (excel) on the world stage in soccer? I'm 6 foot 160lbs and I get mowed over by bigger guys all the time it seems in pickup games.
 


You just got to be fast and agile, soccer is the one game where size doesn't matter much cause you got to be fast and agile or you get burnt.