Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upcoming
In summary, Zinedine Zidane is retired, England did not qualify for the Euro tournament, Ronaldo and Quaresma are the stars of Portugal, Germany and Italy respectively, and Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million.
Spain look too shaky at the back to win it for me. Although having said that, they'll probably make me look foolish. I still think the Netherlands have been the best team so far by a long long way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
David Villa hat trick!

Told you they'd make me look foolish. :cry:

Kurdt said:
Told you they'd make me look foolish. :cry:

4-1 final with a diving header by cesc!

It was a good match and in the end Spain won easily. I still think they need a stronger back four if they want to win against any of the better teams. Let's hope Spain can keep the goals coming though. :smile:

I never would have imagined that outcome from Spain.
Good show though, looks like we are going to have a great tourney. Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Portugal are on form. Some other teams look alright.
I am a bit displeased with France only drawing Romania.
I root for them over anyone but they weren't playing the most exciting ball.
They certainly have the talent, I mean people like trezeguet, Flamini and Ben Arfa did not even make the cut.

I think if Benzema and Ribery get in form and Henry gets back then Frances offense will be set, their defense is already stacked. If Ribery can start commanding the midfield like he does at Bayern Munich then France will be a formidable opponent for anyone.

Also, I agree that Spain needs a stronger back 4, Puyol is a class player, Ramos gives up too many bad fouls.

I think Port and Czech will be a good match tomorrow morning ( USA time )

mgiddy911 said:
They certainly have the talent, I mean people like trezeguet, Flamini and Ben Arfa did not even make the cut.
I don't know about other two, but Trezeguet plays brilliantly for his national side. I'm not quite sure why he wasn't taken!

It obviously wasn't in the stars.

Kurdt said:
It obviously wasn't in the stars.

:smile: good point!

mgiddy911 said:
I think if Benzema and Ribery get in form and Henry gets back then Frances offense will be set, their defense is already stacked. If Ribery can start commanding the midfield like he does at Bayern Munich then France will be a formidable opponent for anyone.
I think they should bench Henry. He hogs the ball, messes up a lot, misses opportunities, is a diver, etc. I've never liked him. France certainly has more than one player who could fill up his position and do a better job...

morphism said:
... is a diver,...

Everyone is nowadays! It's just some players are betting actors than others!

Today's games: Czech Rep v Portugal was quite entertaining.. I guessed 3-1 before the game.. it's a shame I didn't put a bet on!

The game currently being played, Turkey v Switzerland is quite a strange game, since it's being played in torrential rain! Quite entertaining though!

cristo said:
The game currently being played, Turkey v Switzerland is quite a strange game, since it's being played in torrential rain! Quite entertaining though!

1-1 now, and the rain's gone. Surprisingly, this isn't a terrible game!

It didn't look too bad before the rain.

Kurdt said:
It didn't look too bad before the rain.

I missed the first ten minutes, but it's good now. I think both teams really need the win here.

Oh, and in other news, Scolari has been appointed the new Chelsea manager!

Last second winner. I bet the Turks are relieved.

Go Croatia!

Looks like we'll have a really awesome match in the quarter finals between Portugal and Germany. Could go either way.

Considering how much news the US gets about violence atleast we don't riot after a basketball or football game! Seems like there is a riot after each of these euro games.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Considering how much news the US gets about violence atleast we don't riot after a basketball or football game! Seems like there is a riot after each of these euro games.

Really? I've never heard anything about riots. I haven't been watching the news much lately though.

Italy denied a legit goal! How many more officiating blunders will it take for FIFA to get with the times?

morphism said:
Italy denied a legit goal! How many more officiating blunders will it take for FIFA to get with the times?

Football can't become infested with replays: next thing we'll have breaks every five minutes for adverts. The conditions are the same for every team.

Oh, and as I'm typing this: italy 0-1 romania: what a mistake by the italian defence!

morphism said:

Compared to the NBA which applies different rules to players depending on star status, I'll take the old-fashioned FIFA/UEFA approach.

It doesn't have to be like the NBA. Maybe something like they have in Tennis? And teams can have only 1 replay request per half, for instance. That won't affect the game too greatly, in my opinion.

It would be ridiculous to introduce replays into football. It just doesn't seem right at all. In the end the good decisions and bad ones should even out.

Kurdt said:
In the end the good decisions and bad ones should even out.
That clearly was not the case today, and was not the case a countless number of times.

Kurdt said:
It would be ridiculous to introduce replays into football. It just doesn't seem right at all. In the end the good decisions and bad ones should even out.

Agreed, with replays the game would move slower than baseball.

morphism said:
That clearly was not the case today, and was not the case a countless number of times.

Well you just have to learn to live with that. What about Italy's lucky penalty against Australia in the world cup? That probably makes them even now. :-p

good show to Buffon today, he is a great goalie though Gregory Coupet (French Goalie) is my favorite

The Netherlands - France 4 - 1

One of the rare moments that I actually watch soccer. Good game.

It was an excellent game. It will take something special to stop the Netherlands.

Holland have dished up two amazing results, who knows where they can go this time.

The Netherlands. <3

Kurdt said:
It was an excellent game. It will take something special to stop the Netherlands.

Brilliant game by the Dutch. Even though the French woke up, they could only watch the Dutch whirl wind pass by!