Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

  • Thread starter Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Upcoming
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
137 replies · 15K views
Typically when i think of Croatia i think of pleasant footbal, but i haven't watched them recently. I like the fact that they managed to eliminate England without being required to (though i would like to have the english around of course).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, the Netherlands destroyed Italy. They have a great team. After the recent games I'm glad this one came along, it was getting really boring.
 
It's too early to say, but I think the Netherlands are going to take the cup. Their team is a level above the competition.

Right now I'm missing the Spain match, but I don't think we can tell anything about the overall quality of the Spanish squad because of the relative ease of the group they're in. But hopefully they'll have a good run this time -- I was sad to see them leave the World Cup after the second round (even though I was supporting France!).
 
Villa is looking good, isn't he. This looks like game over now.. I think Russia could have got back in the game had Spain not scored a second.
 
Spain look too shaky at the back to win it for me. Although having said that, they'll probably make me look foolish. I still think the Netherlands have been the best team so far by a long long way.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
David Villa hat trick!

Told you they'd make me look foolish. :cry:
 
It was a good match and in the end Spain won easily. I still think they need a stronger back four if they want to win against any of the better teams. Let's hope Spain can keep the goals coming though. :smile:
 
I never would have imagined that outcome from Spain.
Good show though, looks like we are going to have a great tourney. Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Portugal are on form. Some other teams look alright.
I am a bit displeased with France only drawing Romania.
I root for them over anyone but they weren't playing the most exciting ball.
They certainly have the talent, I mean people like trezeguet, Flamini and Ben Arfa did not even make the cut.

I think if Benzema and Ribery get in form and Henry gets back then Frances offense will be set, their defense is already stacked. If Ribery can start commanding the midfield like he does at Bayern Munich then France will be a formidable opponent for anyone.
 
Also, I agree that Spain needs a stronger back 4, Puyol is a class player, Ramos gives up too many bad fouls.

I think Port and Czech will be a good match tomorrow morning ( USA time )
 
mgiddy911 said:
They certainly have the talent, I mean people like trezeguet, Flamini and Ben Arfa did not even make the cut.
I don't know about other two, but Trezeguet plays brilliantly for his national side. I'm not quite sure why he wasn't taken!
 
Kurdt said:
It obviously wasn't in the stars.

:smile: good point!
 
mgiddy911 said:
I think if Benzema and Ribery get in form and Henry gets back then Frances offense will be set, their defense is already stacked. If Ribery can start commanding the midfield like he does at Bayern Munich then France will be a formidable opponent for anyone.
I think they should bench Henry. He hogs the ball, messes up a lot, misses opportunities, is a diver, etc. I've never liked him. France certainly has more than one player who could fill up his position and do a better job...
 
morphism said:
... is a diver,...

Everyone is nowadays! It's just some players are betting actors than others!
 
Today's games: Czech Rep v Portugal was quite entertaining.. I guessed 3-1 before the game.. it's a shame I didn't put a bet on!

The game currently being played, Turkey v Switzerland is quite a strange game, since it's being played in torrential rain! Quite entertaining though!
 
cristo said:
The game currently being played, Turkey v Switzerland is quite a strange game, since it's being played in torrential rain! Quite entertaining though!

1-1 now, and the rain's gone. Surprisingly, this isn't a terrible game!
 
It didn't look too bad before the rain.
 
Kurdt said:
It didn't look too bad before the rain.

I missed the first ten minutes, but it's good now. I think both teams really need the win here.

Oh, and in other news, Scolari has been appointed the new Chelsea manager!
 
Last second winner. I bet the Turks are relieved.
 
Looks like we'll have a really awesome match in the quarter finals between Portugal and Germany. Could go either way.
 
Considering how much news the US gets about violence atleast we don't riot after a basketball or football game! Seems like there is a riot after each of these euro games.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Considering how much news the US gets about violence atleast we don't riot after a basketball or football game! Seems like there is a riot after each of these euro games.

Really? I've never heard anything about riots. I haven't been watching the news much lately though.
 
Italy denied a legit goal! How many more officiating blunders will it take for FIFA to get with the times?
 
morphism said:
Italy denied a legit goal! How many more officiating blunders will it take for FIFA to get with the times?

Football can't become infested with replays: next thing we'll have breaks every five minutes for adverts. The conditions are the same for every team.

Oh, and as I'm typing this: italy 0-1 romania: what a mistake by the italian defence!
 
morphism said:
Italy denied a legit goal! How many more officiating blunders will it take for FIFA to get with the times?

Compared to the NBA which applies different rules to players depending on star status, I'll take the old-fashioned FIFA/UEFA approach.
 
It doesn't have to be like the NBA. Maybe something like they have in Tennis? And teams can have only 1 replay request per half, for instance. That won't affect the game too greatly, in my opinion.