Prediction of pair production via WIMP decay? (Layman question)

In summary: However, this is not always the case. If you sampled a population of 100 people, but only found 95 of them, then the sample would not be representative of the population as a whole. This is because the sample does not include all possible combinations of the 95 people.
feathermoon
Hello,

This may sound silly, don't be afraid to let me know just how silly though!

I've read that predictions are made using the standard model. I do not know the details of this process. I understand pair production occurs randomly in a vacuum, but I wondered if there was an underlying reason aside from a vacuum potential.

Anyway, would there be a way to calculate characteristics/distribution of WIMPs (if they exist) assuming they decay in some way? I know WIMPs aren't supposed to interact electromagnetically, but could they still weakly?

Physics news on Phys.org
feathermoon, WIMPs are hypothetical, as are many of their properties. Typically they are assumed to interact with each other via gravitation and the weak force. The belief is that two WIMPs can annihilate to produce a neutrino-antineutrino pair, which is one way of detecting their presence.

feathermoon said:
Anyway, would there be a way to calculate characteristics/distribution of WIMPs (if they exist) assuming they decay in some way? I know WIMPs aren't supposed to interact electromagnetically, but could they still weakly?

Well, if they decay it has to be extremely slowly, otherwise they would all be gone by now. Generally they are assumed to be stable. As Bill_K says they are also generally assumed to be their own anti-particle (at least they are in a number of popular models), so they can collide with each other and annihilate into things. Neutrinos are just one possibility though, they can usually annihilate into all sorts of things. High energy photons and electron-positron pairs are common final states, and there are numerous experiments currently looking for dark matter indirectly by looking for otherwise unexplainable excesses of gamma rays and/or positrons coming from somewhere, typically the galactic centre
(where the dark matter halo should be densest).

Never be afraid nor ashamed to think 'silly' as silly is good (Paul Dirac predicted the existence of antimatter by considering the the silly solution to his equation which is the basis of quantum electro dynamics (QED) – Carl Anderson found the the anti electron the same year) – OK Dirac did get some of the basics wrong he hoped it was the proton.

You ask about WIMPS

The clue is in the name. WI – weakly interacting MP – massive particles

If they exist then they will be beyond the standard model

The problem is. If they interchange via the weak force why do we not see them in experiments

Or do they decay in other way and if they have so much mass why don't t see it

Hope this helps

Sam

What is pair production and WIMP decay?

Pair production is a process in which a particle and its antiparticle are created from energy. WIMP (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) decay is a proposed theory in particle physics where WIMPs, which are potential dark matter candidates, decay into other particles.

Why is predicting pair production via WIMP decay important?

If WIMP decay can be accurately predicted and observed, it would provide evidence for the existence of WIMPs and help us better understand the nature of dark matter, which makes up about 85% of the matter in the universe.

How is pair production via WIMP decay predicted?

The prediction of pair production via WIMP decay involves complex calculations and simulations using theories from particle physics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics. Scientists also use data from experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to support their predictions.

What challenges do scientists face in predicting pair production via WIMP decay?

One of the main challenges is that WIMPs are hypothetical particles and their properties are still not well understood. This makes it difficult to accurately predict their decay. Additionally, the exact mechanisms of WIMP decay are still unknown, making it a complex and ongoing area of research.

Can these predictions be tested and verified?

Yes, scientists are constantly conducting experiments and observations to test and verify their predictions. This can include analyzing data from particle colliders, telescopes, and other instruments to look for evidence of WIMP decay. If the predictions align with the experimental results, it provides further support for the theory.