Can someone explain how pair production happens?

In summary, electrons and positrons can be produced from the annihilation of particle and antiparticle pairs, while pair production involves the creation of a particle and antiparticle from a high-energy photon in the presence of a nucleus. The process of pair production is more likely to occur when a photon comes close to a nucleus, as it satisfies the conservation of energy and momentum. The cross-sections for Compton scattering, nuclear pair production, and electron pair production vary depending on the material, but in general, pair production dominates at higher energies. Furthermore, while QED is time-reversal invariant, the process of two photons combining to produce an electron and positron is very rare.
question dude
I know that if a photon has enough energy, it can split off into a particle and anti-particle. But how does that happen exactly? Does the photon just randomly decides to split off?

With annihilation (opposite of pair production), the process is much easier to visualize for me, because you basically have a particle and anti-particle coming together in a collision, annihilating each other and turning their mass into energy, it all makes sense.

By the way, this is A-level (school) stuff I'm working on, so no need to go too much into detail because it'll probably just fly over my head lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the photon just randomly decides to split off?
If a photon comes close to a nucleus, right.

Annihilation is not the opposite of pair production. Annihilation is particle+antiparticle -> 2 photons, while pair production is photon + nucleus -> particle+antiparticle+nucleus

mfb said:
If a photon comes close to a nucleus, right.

Annihilation is not the opposite of pair production. Annihilation is particle+antiparticle -> 2 photons, while pair production is photon + nucleus -> particle+antiparticle+nucleus

why does it have to be a nucleus? and why does the photon do this when in close proximity with a nucleus?

I mean, for example when a photon gets close to an electron, it doesn't produce a particle-antiparticle pair, it just gets absorbed or reflected off instead (if the photon's energy isn't enough to move the electron to the next level of orbit)

why does it have to be a nucleus?
The process photon -> particle+antiparticle would violate energy-momentum-conservation. The nucleus has to get some momentum to satisfy that.

I mean, for example when a photon gets close to an electron, it doesn't produce a particle-antiparticle pair
I think it could with sufficient energy, but the process is extremely rare.
(if the photon's energy isn't enough to move the electron to the next level of orbit)
That is at the order of eV to keV, pair production needs at least 1 MeV.

and why does the photon do this when in close proximity with a nucleus?
It has some probability, which can be calculated in quantum mechanics.

mfb said:
The process photon -> particle+antiparticle would violate energy-momentum-conservation. The nucleus has to get some momentum to satisfy that.

I think it could with sufficient energy, but the process is extremely rare.

That is at the order of eV to keV, pair production needs at least 1 MeV.

It has some probability, which can be calculated in quantum mechanics.

Thanks, I think I get it now, the energy-momentum bit makes sense.

when a photon gets close to an electron, it doesn't produce a particle-antiparticle pair, it just gets absorbed or reflected off instead (if the photon's energy isn't enough to move the electron to the next level of orbit)
A free electron can not absorb photon.You can do some relativistic calculation to verify that it gives non sense results.

Consider that a photon has energy AND momentum. If you absorb a photon, BOTH have to be put somewhere.

Free photon in a vacuum has no way of doing ANYTHING, for the simple reason that it has no time or energy. You can simply change your observation frame, and a gamma ray photon is indistinguishable from a radio wave.

Only if the photon encounters another particle with a different velocity do the energy and momentum of photon have a meaning. (Different velocity includes another photon traveling in a different, including opposite, direction.)

Now, consider that for any particle, energy, rest mass and momentum are connected by relationship
E²=(pc)²+(mc²)²
If a photon encounters a massive particle it can interact with, one thing it can do is undergo elastic scattering. You can always choose a frame where the photon and the massive particle have equal and opposite momenta, and merely change direction. That is Compton scattering.

But there are various inelastic things that can happen.

A photon cannot be destroyed merely accelerating any massive system. It can only be destroyed if an amount of energy goes into changing its state. Like exciting an atom, or ionizing it.

An electron has no constituent parts. It is a fundamental particle, and has no excited states.

I suppose that a photon might "excite" an electron by reaction
e-+γ=μ-+νe+ν~μ
and likewise with tauon, but these need a lot of energy and also are weak interaction processes where photons do not partake.

Now, electron-positron pair position needs less energy. But still.

The energy needed for the rest mass of the positronium alone is 1,022 MeV. But the electron and positron have then no momentum, and the photon had some. The only way the energy and momentum can be conserved is by giving some momentum to another particle.

With nuclei, the recoil of a massive nucleus will take up the photon energy with a low speed and thus low recoil energy.

Since an electron is light, it has high recoil energy for a given momentum. It turns out that in a reaction
γ+e-=2e-+e+
in a frame where the original electron is at rest, the needed energy of a photon is exactly double the energy needed for pair production with no recoil energy.

Can someone comment how the cross-sections for Compton scattering, nuclear pair production and electron pair production compare in the energy range where all three are allowed?

snorkack said:
Can someone comment how the cross-sections for Compton scattering, nuclear pair production and electron pair production compare in the energy range where all three are allowed?
A quick search gave this plot. The relative contributions depend a bit on the material, but that is the general idea.

mfb said:

Why two photons cannot combine to produce, for example, an electron and a positron? I thought QED is time-reversal invariant. Surely this reaction is quite rare, but still possible, right. This process could be considered as an annihilation of two photons (particle+antiparticle) into two massive fermions.

Last edited:
Yes you're right, this process is possible.

1. What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a particle of light (photon) is converted into a pair of particles, typically an electron and a positron (anti-electron), in the presence of a strong electric field.

2. How does pair production happen?

Pair production occurs when a photon interacts with the electric field of an atomic nucleus, causing it to change into an electron-positron pair. The photon must have enough energy to create the mass of the two particles, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

3. What is the role of energy in pair production?

The energy of the photon is crucial in pair production as it determines the mass of the particles created. The more energy the photon has, the more massive the particles will be. This is because the energy of the photon is converted into the mass of the particles, as predicted by Einstein's equation.

4. Can pair production happen in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum as long as there is a strong enough electric field present. In this case, the electric field is provided by the vacuum itself, which contains constantly fluctuating electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are the practical applications of pair production?

Pair production is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also has practical applications in medical imaging, such as PET scans, and in particle accelerators, where it is used to create and study new particles.