Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparation for learning integral calculus

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    I have taught myself derivatives and I have taught myself the power rule and substitution but the book that I have bin using doesn’t go more in depth than that so what should I learn next?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For differential calculus, you need to handle derivatives of products and quotients. Next you should learn about derivatives of the basic functions - trig, exponential, log. After that you could start looking at integral calculus.

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    i have taught myself the product and quotient rules. and how to find the deritives of basic functions - trig, exponential, log. so what do i need to do to get into integral calculus.

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    just another idea: maybe you should study related rates - a useful technique

as for integrals, you want to start with the Reimann integral. I don't know your purpose of study, but you probably don't want get too deep into the analysis - just the idea adding areas of rectangles under a curve and then making them thinner and thinner (i.e. a limit)
    Note the difference between definite and indefinite integrals. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is, well, pretty fundamental.

Get the basics down: polynomials, trig functions, logs and exponentials
    Then integration by parts. Substitution. Trig Substitution (tricky). I recall partial fractions as well...

A few basic applications might be solids of revolution, and arclength.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5
    i am teaching myself calc so i can take the ab calc test and skip ab calc my senior year and take bc calc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?