Preparation for Thermodynamics & Modrn Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's upcoming enrollment in a course called "PHY 215: Thermodynamics & Modern Physics" at Michigan State University. The student has some previous knowledge of thermodynamics from a previous physics course and is wondering what they should study to prepare for the course. The course description includes topics such as thermodynamics, atomic physics, quantized systems, and nuclear physics. The conversation also touches on the prerequisites for the course and the student's excitement for their upcoming university courses.
AlexChandler
Preparation for "Thermodynamics & Modrn Physics"

Hello,
I will be transferring to Michigan State University next semester (from Washtenaw Community College) and will be taking a course called "PHY 215: Thermodynamics & Modern Physics", which is actually in the Chemistry Building.
I have learned a bit about Thermodynamics in my first calculus based physics course, but we didn't spend much time on it. I have no experience in chemistry, but I will be taking General Chemistry next semester as well.
The course description is: Thermodynamics, atomic physics, quantized systems, nuclear physics, solids, elementary particles.
I am wondering what I should spend my time on studying for preparation. I have about 20 days off after this semester ends. I have never taken a course in statistics before. Is it likely that the course use much statistics?
Thank you!
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org

What are the prerequisites for this course?

http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/phy215/

gives the prerequisites. The dates seem to correspond to this semester. I don't think that you will be expected to know much, if anything, about thermodynamics. However, studying a little more thermodynamics before the course could prove useful.

Greetings again AlexChandler,

When I took the course, the first 3 weeks were thermodynamics related (Oh, and I see its still the same based on the course website). The remaining was more "modern physics" which basically gave a week long overview of a variety of topics. It likely doesn't assume any prior knowledge of thermodynamics. Statistics won't be of much use in this course.

You'll take your 'real' thermodynamics course in PHY 410 (statistical mechanics).

Good luck!

Aha Thank you!
Im very excited for my first university courses. I think I will take either Linear Algebra, PDE's or Applied Advanced Calculus as well. However I cannot register until my orientation on January 7, and classes begin on the 10th! So I hope the classes do not fill up before then. PHY 215 still has 20 spots open. Do you think this will be a problem? I was told that the physics and math classes usually don't fill up.

AlexChandler said:
Aha Thank you!
Im very excited for my first university courses. I think I will take either Linear Algebra, PDE's or Applied Advanced Calculus as well. However I cannot register until my orientation on January 7, and classes begin on the 10th! So I hope the classes do not fill up before then. PHY 215 still has 20 spots open. Do you think this will be a problem? I was told that the physics and math classes usually don't fill up.

I don't know about the specific school you will attend, but in the schools I've attended, math and physics profs are usually very willing to enroll students over the 'full' quota. The only exceptions are labs, which have a hard limit due to the number of lab stations.

What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of physical phenomena at a macroscopic level, while modern physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. Classical physics is based on Newton's laws of motion and the principles of thermodynamics, while modern physics incorporates theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics.

What are the fundamental laws of thermodynamics?

The fundamental laws of thermodynamics are the first, second, and third laws. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

What is the significance of the Boltzmann constant in thermodynamics?

The Boltzmann constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in thermodynamics that relates the average kinetic energy of particles in a system to its temperature. It is crucial in understanding the behavior of gases and the concept of entropy, and is used in equations such as the ideal gas law and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

What is the relationship between thermodynamics and energy?

Thermodynamics is the study of the interconversion of different forms of energy, such as heat, work, and internal energy. The laws of thermodynamics govern how energy can be transferred and transformed between different systems, and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

How does thermodynamics relate to other branches of science?

Thermodynamics has broad applications in various fields of science, including chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of chemical reactions, the functioning of biological systems, and the design of efficient engines and power plants. It also forms the basis for many other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and quantum thermodynamics.