1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for Calculus-Based Physics

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    So I'm a starting freshman in college now, and I'm currently taking a summer calculus 1 course. This is my second time taking calculus 1. The reason for this is I did not feel AP Calculus AB was a good enough introduction to calculus even though I did very well. I'm going to be taking Physics for Scientists and Engineers 1 (calculus-based physics) in the fall since I want to major in physics; calculus 1 is a prerequisite. The problem is I never took physics in high school. I've watched Khan Academy videos and I took a mediocre, self-paced online physics course that used trigonometry and algebra; however, I never took a formal high school physics course. How can I prepare for the fall calculus-based physics course during the summer? I own the first volume of the Feynman Lectures but I never started reading it because I felt I wasn't ready.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The only way to prepare any better than you currently are, is to study your Calculus 1 during a regular lengthed semester. Trying to do so during the summer session is too short a time to learn it well unless you are exceptionally strong in the content.

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
    Eh, I took physics in high school but didn't learn anything. I couldn't have answered any physics problems after taking that class.

You should be fine if you're comfortable with the calculus I material and you work plenty of example problems and study hard. Of course, the most important thing for both courses is to be strong with your algebra.

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4
    I am quite comfortable with calculus so far. I already understand derivatives and integrals fairly well and I know how to solve problems involving them. At the calculus 1 level of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook