1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for UnderGraduate Research

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    I'm interested in getting some research under my belt starting during the 2014 academic year.

What should I study over the next year, so I can try and get some research in right away? The obvious ones: Undergrad QM, EM (in the process), Class Mech (doing Morin now, the questions are much better than Taylor), perhaps something in particle physics?

I need to learn a programming language, and it seems like it would be easiest to start off with Python? Any suggestions are welcomed (not trying to start a war between different programming languages).

Any math topics that would be of particular interest?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2013 #2
    It really depends on what your group needs. I would try to get attached to a group first, then you will have an idea of what you need to do to complete a project.

4. Jul 1, 2013 #3
    Agreed, find out what your research is in, and what areas the group is weak on. Then prepare yourself to cover their weaknesses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook