Prerequisites and Resources to learn Matrices

In summary, In order to become proficient in matrix mathematics, someone should start by looking for online resources or a book to learn the basics, and then work their way up to more complicated concepts.
kieth89
Could anyone let me know of a good resource that I could use to learn matrix mathematics? I'm not sure if that is the proper term for that segment of mathematics, but hopefully you get the gist of it. It can be a book or a website, does not matter to me. Also, any suggestions as to what I should study before delving into matrices? They seem to be quite different from things like polynomials at first glance.

Much Appreciated,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for linear algebra resources - I never really got matrixes myself until I had to learn MATLAB ...

These days I'd suggest going online for the basics.
What level are you at?

Simon Bridge said:
Look for linear algebra resources - I never really got matrixes myself until I had to learn MATLAB ...

These days I'd suggest going online for the basics.
What level are you at?

As far as matrix math goes I've done dot multiplication and other things among that level, but it's been about 6 months so I'm probably pretty rusty. As far as general math education, I'm pretty high college algebra level/right before calculus (have looked at calculus a little bit, but not much).

kieth89 said:
As far as matrix math goes I've done dot multiplication and other things among that level, but it's been about 6 months so I'm probably pretty rusty. As far as general math education, I'm pretty high college algebra level/right before calculus (have looked at calculus a little bit, but not much).

Typically you study calculus before linear algebra.

Astrum said:

You should be fine without it, however.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980232716/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is the book we 'used' for my underwhelming course in intro to LA, it's abit wordy, but that's good for self-study. I think there is also a MIT open course that follows this text, so that might make it even better for self-teaching. The book itself is pretty good.

You might want to get a reference or use a free online book for some examples and more worked problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Student100 said:
You should be fine without it, however.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980232716/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is the book we 'used' for my underwhelming course in intro to LA, it's abit wordy, but that's good for self-study. I think there is also a MIT open course that follows this text, so that might make it even better for self-teaching. The book itself is pretty good.

You might want to get a reference or use a free online book for some examples and more worked problems.

If they're interested in something proof based, I don't think they'd have the mathematical maturity without some experience with higher math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astrum said:
If they're interested in something proof based, I don't think they'd have the mathematical maturity without some experience with higher math.

I wouldn't call calc at that level higher math, but I understand your point.

Still, it isn't required per say, so it's up to them if they want to follow through or not.

Astrum said:

You can study matrix algebra as soon as you study simultaneous linear equations, which can be in an algebra I or algebra II course in high school. Although you can use matrices and vectors in calculus, calculus itself is not a prerequisite for studying these concepts.

Here is a basic introduction to matrices and manipulating them:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-introduction.html

Sounds like you just need a refresher then ... the links above should be fine.

I think I know where I need to go/what I need to look at next. Thank you all for the help!

1. What are the prerequisites for learning matrices?

The main prerequisites for learning matrices are a strong understanding of basic algebra and a familiarity with basic mathematical concepts such as vectors, equations, and functions. It is also helpful to have a solid foundation in geometry and trigonometry.

2. Do I need to have knowledge of programming to learn matrices?

No, knowledge of programming is not necessary to learn matrices. However, having some familiarity with programming languages such as Python or MATLAB can be helpful in performing calculations and visualizing matrices.

3. What resources are available to learn matrices?

There are many resources available for learning matrices, including textbooks, online courses, videos, and interactive tutorials. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "Coding the Matrix: Linear Algebra through Applications to Computer Science" by Philip Klein, and Khan Academy's linear algebra course.

4. How long does it take to learn matrices?

The time it takes to learn matrices can vary depending on individual learning abilities and the depth of understanding desired. With consistent practice and dedication, one can become proficient in basic matrix operations in a matter of weeks, while a more thorough understanding can take several months.

5. What are the real-world applications of matrices?

Matrices have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. They are used for data analysis, image processing, optimization problems, and more. Some specific examples include computer graphics, machine learning algorithms, and solving systems of linear equations in physics and engineering problems.