1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure / Vacuum Analysis During Submersion

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    I have a product that we perform submersion testing on to determine susceptibility to water intrusion. The product is heated to 120C and then placed in an ice bath. I have measured the pressure / vacuum during testing and have determined that the pressure can rise to 5 psi while heating and drop to -10 psi while submerged.

The ideal gas law aligns with the 5 psi while at 120C but when dunked, the calculations state that the pressure should be around -2 psi. I am trying to determine how to calculate this result. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2
    Double check your numbers. I get close to your measured value with ideal gas assumption.

If you want to show your math, we maybe can find the problem.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    During testing of the product, I am seeing pressure swings of 12.5 psi. Initially I assumed that volume remained the same (which is not correct but I will get to that). The following are calculations:
    - P1 * V1 = n R T1
    - Final Pressure = (Delta T) * Initial Pressure

If I use the test data that indicates the pressure can change by 12.5 psi, the volume would need to change by approximately 41.8%. There is something else occurring that I am not accounting for. Any thoughts??? Is there anything related to humidity that might be affecting this test?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook