Pressure / Vacuum Analysis During Submersion

In summary, the speaker has a product that undergoes submersion testing to determine its resistance to water intrusion. The product is heated to 120C and then placed in an ice bath, during which the pressure can rise to 5 psi while heating and drop to -10 psi while submerged. However, the ideal gas law suggests that the pressure should be around -2 psi while submerged. The speaker is seeking advice on how to calculate this result and mentions a discrepancy in pressure swings of 12.5 psi during testing. They are considering factors such as volume and humidity that may be affecting the results.
navier1863
I have a product that we perform submersion testing on to determine susceptibility to water intrusion. The product is heated to 120C and then placed in an ice bath. I have measured the pressure / vacuum during testing and have determined that the pressure can rise to 5 psi while heating and drop to -10 psi while submerged.

The ideal gas law aligns with the 5 psi while at 120C but when dunked, the calculations state that the pressure should be around -2 psi. I am trying to determine how to calculate this result. Any advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Double check your numbers. I get close to your measured value with ideal gas assumption.

If you want to show your math, we maybe can find the problem.

During testing of the product, I am seeing pressure swings of 12.5 psi. Initially I assumed that volume remained the same (which is not correct but I will get to that). The following are calculations:
- P1 * V1 = n R T1
- Final Pressure = (Delta T) * Initial Pressure

If I use the test data that indicates the pressure can change by 12.5 psi, the volume would need to change by approximately 41.8%. There is something else occurring that I am not accounting for. Any thoughts? Is there anything related to humidity that might be affecting this test?

1. What is pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion?

Pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion is a method used to measure the changes in pressure or vacuum in a sealed container when it is submerged in a liquid. This analysis is important in determining the strength and integrity of the container and its ability to withstand submersion.

2. Why is pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion important?

This type of analysis is important for various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and marine, where containers or vessels need to withstand submersion in order to function properly. It helps ensure the safety and reliability of the container.

3. How is pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion performed?

The container is first sealed and then submerged in a liquid. The changes in pressure or vacuum inside the container are then recorded over a period of time. This data is then analyzed to determine the strength and integrity of the container.

4. What factors can affect the results of pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion?

The type and thickness of the container material, the type of liquid it is submerged in, and the duration of submersion can all affect the results of the analysis. Other factors such as temperature and external pressure may also play a role.

5. What are some common applications of pressure/vacuum analysis during submersion?

This type of analysis is commonly used in the testing of fuel tanks, storage tanks, and other containers that will be submerged in a liquid. It is also used in the design and testing of underwater vehicles, submarines, and other marine structures.