Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prevailing winds in the mesosphere?

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1
    Hi! Please, does anyone know where could I find information or (ideally) global maps with the direction and speeds of the prevailing winds in the mesosphere (if any)? As much as I've tried to, I've been unable to find any source providing this information. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2
  4. Nov 10, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much, CapnGranite. This is certainly a great tool, but unfortunately it only reaches a height of 10 hPa, which is approx. 30 km, well below the stratopause and the mesosphere. :frown: I need to go higher...

5. Nov 10, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Nov 10, 2016 #5
    Yes, I did that, but I'm still unable to see a worldwide map of prevailing directions/speeds (like the one CapnGranite provided for lower altitudes, if not necessarily so sophisticated.) Maybe it's just me being unable to interpret these data, but I "can't see" the mesospheric winds from point A to point B.

To put it in other words: an atom of nitrogen right now 75 km above Manhattan (or Managua, or Madrid, or Madagascar...), where will it tend to be tomorrow (or in a week)?

7. Nov 11, 2016 #6

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Not simple. AFAICT, there really are none like what occurs down lower.
    Example: This is behind a paywall but does present 'prevailing winds' in a model: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00585-000-0300-y

If you use google scholar and ' prevailing mesospheric winds' you get hits. Most appear to be models. You decide what fits your needs.

8. Nov 12, 2016 #7
    You might see what the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the University of Colorado Boulder might have.
    the http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/

9. Nov 12, 2016 #8
    Thank you both very much. I'll try and see if I can get a general idea of the "mesospheric circulation"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted