Primary reference paper for presentation

In summary, Khilav is looking for theoretical papers but is having trouble finding them that are easy to understand for first year students. He has decided to make the presentation on the J meson paper.
khil_phys
Hi all!

I am a first year BS-MS student and I need to make a presentation on a paper or a review article from a primary reference journal. The broad topic is particle physics. I searched on Physical Review D, Nature and Science but couldn't get anything which was not too mathematical.

Thanks,
Khilav.

Physics news on Phys.org
khil_phys said:
I searched on Physical Review D, Nature and Science but couldn't get anything which was not too mathematical.
Did you look for theoretical or experimental papers?
Experimental papers are usually not so mathematical, at least if you don't go into details of the statistical analysis methods.

The two discovery papers for the J/Psi meson (Physical Review Letters: J/ψ) are short and without advanced mathematics.

They are, but making a presentation on those would require a thorough knowledge of the experimental techniques involved. And I have to go into the details of the methods for the presentation. Basically I am on the lookout for theoretical papers.

You are going to have a very hard time finding theoretical particle physics papers that can be understood by first year students.

khil_phys said:
They are, but making a presentation on those would require a thorough knowledge of the experimental techniques involved. And I have to go into the details of the methods for the presentation. Basically I am on the lookout for theoretical papers.

Theoretical papers, but not too mathematical?

I don't think you have any idea what you are asking.

Zz.

I agree with Vanadium and ZapperZ, and I think experimental papers are really easier. You would have to look at the experimental methods, but that's still easier than the mathematics behind current theory papers.
You could try an old paper, of course - something before quantum field theory was developed :D.

Einstein's 1905 relativity paper should be within reach, mathematically at least. You'll need a decent amount of EM and mechanics knowledge though

Edit: Just noticed you said particle physics

mfb said:
Did you look for theoretical or experimental papers?
Experimental papers are usually not so mathematical, at least if you don't go into details of the statistical analysis methods.

The two discovery papers for the J/Psi meson (Physical Review Letters: J/ψ) are short and without advanced mathematics.

I have decided to make the presentation on the J meson paper. Thanks!

1. What is a primary reference paper for presentation?

A primary reference paper for presentation is a scientific paper that presents original research findings on a particular topic. It is considered the most important and reliable source of information on a specific scientific topic.

2. How do I choose a primary reference paper for my presentation?

When choosing a primary reference paper for your presentation, it is important to consider the credibility and relevance of the paper. Look for papers published in reputable journals and written by experts in the field. Additionally, make sure the paper aligns with the focus of your presentation.

3. What information should I include from the primary reference paper in my presentation?

The information you include from the primary reference paper in your presentation will depend on the purpose and scope of your presentation. Generally, you should summarize the main findings and conclusions of the paper, as well as any relevant data or figures that support them.

4. Can I use multiple primary reference papers in my presentation?

Yes, you can use multiple primary reference papers in your presentation. In fact, it is often recommended to use multiple sources to support your arguments and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic.

5. How do I properly cite a primary reference paper in my presentation?

To properly cite a primary reference paper in your presentation, you should follow the appropriate citation style for your field, such as APA, MLA, or Chicago. Make sure to include the author(s), title, journal or publication information, and the URL or DOI (digital object identifier) if available.