1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primary reference paper for presentation

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    Hi all!

I am a first year BS-MS student and I need to make a presentation on a paper or a review article from a primary reference journal. The broad topic is particle physics. I searched on Physical Review D, Nature and Science but couldn't get anything which was not too mathematical.

Thanks,
    Khilav.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you look for theoretical or experimental papers?
    Experimental papers are usually not so mathematical, at least if you don't go into details of the statistical analysis methods.

The two discovery papers for the J/Psi meson (Physical Review Letters: J/ψ) are short and without advanced mathematics.

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3
    They are, but making a presentation on those would require a thorough knowledge of the experimental techniques involved. And I have to go into the details of the methods for the presentation. Basically I am on the lookout for theoretical papers.

5. Aug 21, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are going to have a very hard time finding theoretical particle physics papers that can be understood by first year students.

6. Aug 21, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Theoretical papers, but not too mathematical?

I don't think you have any idea what you are asking.

Zz.

7. Aug 21, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Vanadium and ZapperZ, and I think experimental papers are really easier. You would have to look at the experimental methods, but that's still easier than the mathematics behind current theory papers.
    You could try an old paper, of course - something before quantum field theory was developed :D.

8. Aug 21, 2013 #7

jk

Einstein's 1905 relativity paper should be within reach, mathematically at least. You'll need a decent amount of EM and mechanics knowledge though

Edit: Just noticed you said particle physics

9. Aug 26, 2013 #8
    I have decided to make the presentation on the J meson paper. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook