1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primitives triangle with smallest side an even number

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if a right triangle has all sides rational and primitives (co-primes), then one of the smaller side must be even number.

2. Relevant equations
    For a right triangle (a,b,c) with c is the hypotenuse.
    $$a^2+b^2=c^2$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    In order to create a contradiction, I assume both a and b are odd, so.
    $$a=2n_1 +1$$
    and.
    $$b=2n_2+1$$
    applying Pythagorean theorem,
    $$a^2+b^2=4(n_1^2+n_2^2-n_1-n_2)+2$$.
    This only gives me that c must be even but it does not tell me whether it is still rational and co-primes to a and b or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2
    Ok, I tried that, if a, b, c are co-primes, then the area of the triangle is:
    $$area=\frac{1}{2}ab=d$$
    $$ab=2d$$
    which means one of a or b must be even.

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

There is nothing in your second proof forcing d to be an integer. So I am not sure that is the best method.
    Using your expansion from the Pythagorean theorem,
    ## a^2 + b^2 = c^2 = 4( n_1^2 + n_2^2 -n_1 - n_2 ) + 2 ##
    That gives that
    ##c = \sqrt{4( n_1^2 + n_2^2 -n_1 - n_2 ) + 2} = 2 \sqrt{ n_1^2 + n_2^2 -n_1 - n_2 +1/ 2} = 2\sqrt{K - 1/2} ##
    for some ##K \in \mathbb{Z}##.
    It should be pretty clear to show that c is not an integer.

5. Nov 20, 2015 #4
    If both a&b are odd, d can not be integer. So, d can not be integer except when one of a&b is even which completes the proof without need for Pythagoras theorem.

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5
    But this could be also applicable in any triangle, namely, the area of any triangle can not be a positive integer unless one of its sides is an even number. But in the right triangle whose a, b are odd, c can not be even ( because c2 is not divisible by 4). This means in order for the area of the right triangle to be a positive integer, a or b must be even.

7. Nov 22, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is no reason why d should be an integer, so no contradiction.

8. Nov 23, 2015 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

What is d? d is the area. Nothing in your original problem said that the area had to be an integer...just that the lengths of all the sides were rational.
    I think your proof was supposed to show that if a and b are both odd, then c cannot be a rational number. Thus contradicting your original assumption and proving that if a, b, and c are all rational and primitives, either a or b must be even. You had the right attack using the Pythagorean thm.

9. Nov 23, 2015 #8
    So, there are two attacks to proof it, both of them assume that a and b are odds:
    1) If a and b are odds, c can not be rational, contradicting the assumption that all are rationals and primitives.
    2) If a and b are odds, c can not be even which makes the area of the triangle, d, not integer which is a must for any right triangle. This means a or b must be even.

10. Nov 23, 2015 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If a and b are odd, the area is not an integer. The reference to c being even is irrelevant, and it certainly does not by itself imply d is not an integer.
    You have no basis for that statement. Consider a=1, b=1. The area is not an integer, but you can construct a right triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted