1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principal normal line to helix is normal to z axis

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    DoCarmo Section 1.5 problem 1 part d. Show that the lines containing n(s) and passing through a(s) [a is the curve, and n(s) is the unit normal vector] meet the z axis under a constant angle of pi/2.
    Helix: a(s) = (a cos(s/c_, a sin(s/c), b*s/c), so I computed n(s) = (cos(s/c),sin(s/c),0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the principal normal containing n(s) and a(s) is : L(t) = (t-s)*n(s) + a(s). THis is because L'(t) = n(s), and L(s) = a(s), but when I try to show d/dt ( L(t) . z/Norm(L(t))) = Cos(theta) =0, I keep getting that it is not zero, due to the z-component of a(s), and the norm of L(t), which I compute to be ((Norm a)^2+(t-s)^2)^0.5, by orthogonality of n(s) and a(s).

Is there something I am donig wrong?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the z axis is in the direction of ##k=\langle 0,0,1\rangle##, isn't it obvious by the dot product with n(s) that they are perpendicular? That only leaves the question of whether the line L(t) actually hits the z axis. Can you find a t value for which ##L(t) = \langle 0,0,k\rangle## for some k, no matter what s is?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    It's obvious to me that n(s) is perpendicular to z-axis, but I guess I don't really understand the following: The line L(t) must be in the direction of the vector n(s), but when we take the dot of L(t) with e_3 (the third basis vector in the canonical basis for R^3), we don't get 0 since the line is translated by the vector a(s0).

So: how is the line L(t) actually in the direction of n(s) if L(t) . e_3 =/= 0, but n(s). e_3 =0? I guess I dont understand the term "direction" well enough, since the angle between L(t) and z axis is precisely ArcCos(L(t).e_3/Norm(L(t)))?

Thanks

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That makes no sense. a vector "translated" is still the same vector.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

L(t) is the position vector from the origin to the point on the line and it isn't perpendicular to the z axis. L(t) is the sum of two vectors: from the orgin to a(s) then from a(s) in a direction perpendicular to the z axis, which is given by n(s). The whole point of the problem is that if you go from a point on the curve in the direction of n(s) it will hit the z axis. It might help you to draw a picture of a helix going around the z axis. Pick a point on the helix an draw a position vector to that point then a line from that point perpendicularly towards the z axis. L(t) is a vector from the origin to a point on that line which varies along that line as t changes.

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    This clarifies it! Thank You !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook