1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principal nth Root of a Real Number

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to Wikipedia, if n is odd, then every real number A has a unique real nth root having the same sign as A and known as the principal nth root of A. It is denoted by

[tex] \sqrt[n]{A} [/tex]

My question is, how do we know that this is true i.e. that [itex] \sqrt[n]{A} [/itex] exists for all real numbers if n is odd, and for all positive real numbers if n is even?

Note: I have studied Complex Analysis. I am not interested in the other n-1 complex roots of the number.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a discovery:

Let y be a negative real number:

[tex] y = A e^{i(\pi + 2k\pi)}, \ \ \ \ \ k \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Then

[tex] y^{1/n} = \sqrt[n]{A} e^{i(\pi/n + 2k\pi/n)}, \ \ \ \ \ k \in \{0,...,n-1\} [/tex]

We can prove that one of the roots must be real by equating the argument to pi so that we just get a negative real number. Solving for k, we get:

k = (n-1)/2

which is an integer in the allowable range of k values IF n is odd.

Conclusion: [itex] \sqrt[n]{y} [/itex] exists and is equal to -[itex] \sqrt[n]{A} [/itex] where A = |y| (provided n is odd)

So my question reduces to, "how do we know that every POSITIVE real number has a unique, real nth root?"

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    How about using the infimum axiom the superimum axiom and the squeeze theorem.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^n is a continuous bijection on the appropriate domain and codomain.

6. Feb 18, 2008 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with those axioms. I haven't been taught any number theory formally (if that is indeed what this is), so maybe I won't be able to understand the answer to this question.

7. Feb 18, 2008 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha...ironically, I have a problem asking me to determine whether f(x) = x^3 + 1 is a bijection, given a domain of R and a codomain of R, and THAT problem is what raised this question in my mind in the first place! I have no doubt that if the claim I was asking about is true, then it follows that what you have said is true, and vice versa. I just have no idea how to go about proving either statement.

8. Feb 18, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This real analysis; in fact, all you need is calc I. You said you took complex analysis -- well, you could use that too, can't you?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. Feb 18, 2008 #8
    The axioms are necessary for the existence of the real numbers.

10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A sketch of the graph of f(x) indicates that it's increasing. Can you think of how we can prove this formally? This should give us that f(x) is 1-1. To prove that f(x) is onto, we can use the intermediate value theorem.

11. Feb 18, 2008 #10
    Well, at one time we believed all numbers were constructed by ratios. I suppose calc I may have a theorem that could be applied but the result won't be from first principles. Perhaps we can argue the existence of the inverse since x^n=y is one to one and onto.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?