Principia Mathematica: Russell's Insightful Collaboration - Available Online?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, I read that this book was read by a handful of people and that it is not available online. I recommend reading Finnegan's Wake instead.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i read i think in russell's "problems in philosophy" that his book (that he wrote with witehead) were read by a handful of people, i wonder if anyone here read this mass, and is it availabale in the web?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read parts of it- the whole thing would be far too much! Principia Mathematica was an attempt (not entirely sucessful) to derive mathematics from the most fundamental concepts of logic. About half-way through the book they have finally produced enough concepts to define the natural numbers- and then requires several pages to prove that 2+ 2= 4! It's worth a look just for the "awe" value, but unless you are a professor of symbolic logic, I would not recommend buying it or trying to read the whole thing.

i recommend reading finnegan's wake first.

There's a copy at my university, so I picked it up and read parts of it. It is a horrible, horrible mess.

Treadstone 71 said:
There's a copy at my university

there's THE copy of it at my university :-p

rhj23 said:
there's THE copy of it at my university :-p
All bragging rights are null and void unless you've actually tried to read the damn thing. Since I know that you haven't, you are not allowed to boast. ;)

HallsofIvy said:
I have read parts of it- the whole thing would be far too much! Principia Mathematica was an attempt (not entirely sucessful) to derive mathematics from the most fundamental concepts of logic. About half-way through the book they have finally produced enough concepts to define the natural numbers- and then requires several pages to prove that 2+ 2= 4! It's worth a look just for the "awe" value, but unless you are a professor of symbolic logic, I would not recommend buying it or trying to read the whole thing.

That is amazingly badass.

^Probably one of the few places in the world I can say this and have people either agree with me or not give it a second thought.

Try learning latin and then read it. It might be easier to read.

scott1 said:
Try learning latin and then read it. It might be easier to read.
Learning mathematics and symbolic logic first would be better. While the title "Principia Mathematica" is Latin, the book itself was written in English. (Well, what's in between all the symbo's is English!)

It occurs to me that you may be thinking of Newton's Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica. The very first post made it clear that the poster was talking about Russell and Whitehead's "Principia Mathematica".

Related to Principia Mathematica: Russell's Insightful Collaboration - Available Online?

1. What is Principia Mathematica?

Principia Mathematica is a three-volume work written by mathematician and philosopher Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead. It is considered one of the most influential works in the history of mathematics and logic.

2. What is the main purpose of Principia Mathematica?

The main purpose of Principia Mathematica is to provide a rigorous foundation for mathematics and logic by building it up from basic logical principles. It seeks to prove all mathematical truths using a formal logical system.

3. What are some of the key insights in Principia Mathematica?

One of the key insights in Principia Mathematica is the use of symbolic logic and the introduction of the theory of types, which helped to resolve certain paradoxes in set theory. It also introduced the concept of logical implication and the use of quantifiers.

4. How has Principia Mathematica influenced modern mathematics and logic?

Principia Mathematica has had a significant impact on modern mathematics and logic, particularly in the areas of set theory, mathematical logic, and the foundations of mathematics. It laid the groundwork for further developments in these fields and helped to establish a formal and rigorous approach to mathematics.

5. Is Principia Mathematica still relevant today?

While some of the specific results presented in Principia Mathematica have been superseded by more modern developments, the work remains relevant as a foundational text in the fields of mathematics and logic. Its influence can still be seen in current research and teaching in these areas.