Where can I find an online mentor?

• Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mentor
In summary, the person is looking for a mentor and is concerned that they will not be able to do their project on their own. They have some knowledge about rockets and microsatellites, and they are interested in the area of nanorockets.
Gjmdp
I want to do a project on MicroSatellites to make research and maybe go into a Science Fair.
The problem is that rockets are such big field but microsatellites are a very narrow area that I need to find a mentor. An online mentor. Where can I find it? Do you want to be my mentor. I'm 15. So much thanks :)

Gjmdp said:
I want to do a project on MicroSatellites to make research and maybe go into a Science Fair.
The problem is that rockets are such big field but microsatellites are a very narrow area that I need to find a mentor. An online mentor. Where can I find it? Do you want to be my mentor. I'm 15. So much thanks :)
Just to add that I know calculus and multivariable calculus, a little bit about differential equations, classical mechanics and a little bit of quantum mechanics (all them by books, MITOCW, and edx.org).

Thanks so much for your answers :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to hire someone from out of pocket. You are basically asking people to work for free. Best advice is to find forums that have interest similar to yours and frequent there. Read, read, read. Also, ask a teacher you know if you guys can do an independent study.

MidgetDwarf said:
You will need to hire someone from out of pocket. You are basically asking people to work for free. Best advice is to find forums that have interest similar to yours and frequent there. Read, read, read. Also, ask a teacher you know if you guys can do an independent study.
Ok, as it seem hard to find a mentor (I've also problems of shyness), Is so hard to hold on research by my own? After all, even having a mentor would no allow me to try Nanorockets in a lab (maybe better computer simulations). Having only 1 answer would make me happy :)

1. Where can I find an online mentor?

There are several websites and platforms that offer online mentorship programs. Some popular options include LinkedIn Learning, MentorCruise, and The Mentor Network. You can also try searching for specific mentorship programs in your field or industry.

2. How do I know if an online mentor is legitimate?

It's important to do some research before choosing an online mentor. Look for reviews or testimonials from previous mentees, and check the mentor's credentials and experience. You can also reach out to the mentor directly to ask about their qualifications and mentoring style.

3. What should I expect from an online mentorship program?

The specifics of an online mentorship program will vary depending on the platform and mentor. Generally, you can expect to have regular virtual meetings with your mentor to discuss your goals, receive guidance and advice, and work on your professional development. Some programs may also include additional resources or assignments.

4. How much does it cost to have an online mentor?

The cost of online mentorship programs can vary greatly. Some platforms offer free programs, while others may charge a fee for their services. Additionally, some mentors may offer their services for free, while others may charge an hourly rate. It's important to research the program and mentor's fees before committing to a program.

5. Is online mentorship as effective as in-person mentorship?

While in-person mentorship can have its benefits, online mentorship has become increasingly popular and can be just as effective. With advancements in technology, virtual meetings and communication have become more seamless and can offer the same level of guidance and support as in-person meetings. Online mentorship also allows for a wider range of mentors and mentees to connect, regardless of geographic location.