The Logic of the Principia Mathematica

In summary, the speaker had initially posted a question in the mathematics forum and is now realizing the need for a dedicated thread for asking questions about the book they are reading. They are asking for someone comfortable with logic to answer their current question and possibly future ones. Their question is about apparent and real variables and ambiguous assertion in relation to propositions and propositional functions. They are seeking clarification on whether their understanding is correct. Another user attempts to provide an explanation, but it is unclear if it is helpful.
xwolfhunter
I had posted a question in the mathematics forum about some conceptual issues I was encountering while reading the book, but now I realize as I read on that I may need a dedicated thread for asking questions about the book. So I am asking two things in this thread. Firstly, I am asking someone who is quite comfortable with the field of logic (and generally familiar with the dot notation I think originating in Peano's book) to answer the following question with the knowledge that I may quote them in this thread asking another question in the context of the Principia Mathematica, more often in the near future and hopefully petering off as my mind becomes more accustomed to logical thought. That way I won't be making multiple threads asking many people many questions.

Secondly, here is my current question:

I'm trying to wrap my head around apparent (bound) and real (free) variables, using the same terminology as that in the book, in the context of propositions and propositional functions etc. Russel speaks of ambiguous assertion, without which, he says, the consideration of ##\phi x##, which is an ambiguous member of ##\phi \hat{x}## (I think with ##x## in the former case being a real variable, and in the latter, an apparent one), would be meaningless. What I get from this is that we can't speak of ##\phi x## as referring to a real variable (in a useful way) without the assertion [tex]\vdash . \phi x[/tex]

I think he basically says that ##\vdash . \phi x \equiv \: \vdash . (x) \cdot \phi x##, where in the latter case ##x## is an apparent variable, and in the former, a real one, so the two ##x##es are wholly distinct - so ##\vdash . \phi x \equiv \: \vdash . (y) \cdot \phi y##, and even though ##\vdash . \phi y \equiv \: \vdash . \phi z##, it is not the case that ##y## and ##z## are necessarily referring to the same ambiguous value of ##\phi \hat{x}##, because they are real variables; and to top off the run-on, in all of the above cases, even though anything of the form ##\vdash . \phi x \equiv \: (x) \cdot \phi x## is correct, it is not the case that the two are identical, and are useful in different scenarios due to the use of a real variable in one, and an apparent in the other (respectively). My question is . . . is that correct? Do I have the use of apparent/free variables, and the concept of ambiguous assertion, down, or am I misunderstanding? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the ambiguity is that you can consider ## \phi x## as a something that speak on ##x## or as something that speak about another something because the fact is that the variable ## x## is not fixed ( by ##\exists## or by ##\forall## ) so the ambiguity is to consider ##\phi x## a particular and in the same time a general assertion... I don't know if I gave a help...

1. What is "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica"?

"The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" is a book written by mathematicians Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell. It was published in three volumes between 1910 and 1913 and is considered one of the most important works in the field of mathematical logic. The book lays out a comprehensive system of mathematical logic and set theory, and is known for its use of symbolic logic to formalize mathematical proofs.

2. What is the significance of "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica"?

"The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" is significant because it provided a rigorous and systematic approach to mathematical logic, which was previously seen as a less rigorous area of mathematics. It also laid the groundwork for modern logic and set theory, and influenced many subsequent works in the field.

3. What are some key concepts discussed in "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica"?

Some key concepts discussed in "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" include the theory of types, the theory of logical classes, and the use of symbolic logic to formalize mathematical proofs. The book also introduces the famous Principia Mathematica notation, which is still used in mathematical logic today.

4. How did "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" impact the field of mathematics?

"The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" had a significant impact on the field of mathematics, particularly in the areas of mathematical logic and set theory. It provided a new level of rigor and precision in these areas and laid the foundation for further developments in logic and mathematics. The book also influenced the development of computer science, as its use of symbolic logic laid the groundwork for modern computer programming languages.

5. Is "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" still relevant today?

Yes, "The Logic of the Principia Mathematica" is still relevant today. While some of its specific techniques and notation have been replaced by newer developments in mathematical logic, the book's overall approach and concepts are still widely used and studied. It is considered a classic work in the field and continues to be referenced and built upon by mathematicians and logicians today.