Principles of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 7K views
JKuo37
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What's the difference in content between the two textbooks? International Adaptation and local edition
Principles of Physics: Extended, 12th Edition
Principles of Physics: Extended, International Adaptation, 12th Edition
 
Attachments
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 147
Physics news on Phys.org
The publisher is Wiley, and their website describes the various editions.
 
JKuo37 said:
Principles Fundamentals of Physics: Extended, 12th Edition
Principles of Physics: Extended, International Adaptation, 12th Edition
“Fundamentals” is marketed in the US, and maybe some other countries e.g. Canada. “Principles” is marketed in the rest of the world.

Hopefully someone who has seen both books can comment. My understanding, based on discussions like this one from Quora, is that the two books have the same content but “Principles” is produced more cheaply. (There is some confusion in that discussion, so my understanding may be incorrect.)

I used “Fundamentals” as a student in the 1970s and taught from it in the 1980s. I have not seen recent editions of “Fundamentals” and have never seen “Principles”.

When I use http://www.wiley.com/ and search for “halliday” I always get “Fundamentals” regardless of my location setting (didn’t try every possible setting).

When I use http://www.wileyindia.com/ and search for “halliday” I get “Principles” along with some locally-published books based on it (study guides, maybe?).
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: JKuo37, dextercioby and berkeman
jtbell said:
“Fundamentals” is marketed in the US, and maybe some other countries e.g. Canada. “Principles” is marketed in the rest of the world.

Hopefully someone who has seen both books can comment. My understanding, based on discussions like this one from Quora, is that the two books have the same content but “Principles” is produced more cheaply. (There is some confusion in that discussion, so my understanding may be incorrect.)

I used “Fundamentals” as a student in the 1970s and taught from it in the 1980s. I have not seen recent editions of “Fundamentals” and have never seen “Principles”.

When I use http://www.wiley.com/ and search for “halliday” I always get “Fundamentals” regardless of my location setting (didn’t try every possible setting).

When I use http://www.wileyindia.com/ and search for “halliday” I get “Principles” along with some locally-published books based on it (study guides, maybe?).
Why India in particular?
 
WWGD said:
Why India in particular?
Most of the posters in that Quora discussion seemed to be from India or nearby places.
 
jtbell said:
Most of the posters in that Quora discussion seemed to be from India or nearby places.
Including Vijay from Bombay.
 
I have a print copy of 'Principles' and a PDF of 'Fundamentals' (both extended as well as the 12th edition) and from what I can see, they're almost the exact same, with the exception that 'Fundamentals' has the additional problems section on each chapter, whereas 'Principles' doesn't. For example, in chapter 2: motion along a straight line, 'Principles' has 70 problems and 'Fundamentals' has 109.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jtbell and dextercioby