1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and I have a question about standard deviation.

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    I have a question about standard deviation. If I have a hundred of distance data, how can I use standard deviation to choose a suitble range of the distance. What is the relation between standard deviation graph and my data. I can plot a graph using mean and std of the data, but do not know how to relate that graph to my data.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do YOU mean by "a suitable range"? What do YOU mean by "standard deviation graph"? HOW are you drawing a "graph using mean and std of the data"? A graph of what?

Perhaps you are trying to decide what range you should use in a graph of your data- TCebyshev's inequality might apply here. The probability that all data are between the mean minus h times the standard deviation and the mean plus h times the standard deviation is 1- 1/h2.

4. Feb 10, 2007 #3
    Thank You very much HallsofIvy
    I used excel to plot the standard normal distribution curve using mean and std of the data. But, I dont know how relate this graph with my data to see the deviation of the data. I want to see what is the deviation of data.Or the propability that the data are in a certain value between the mean.

Code (Text):

The probability that all data are between the mean minus h times,1- 1/h2.

What is h?

tq

5. Feb 11, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly what I said it was! h is the number of standard deviations on either side of the mean you are including in your graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?