Probability: Foreign vs Local in a City

  • Thread starter thedeath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the difference between foreign and local probability in a city is based on whether an event involves a foreign or local entity. Foreign probability is calculated by comparing the number of foreign entities to the total population, while local probability can have a significant impact on the city's economy. Factors such as population, economy, government policies, and international trade can influence the probability of foreign vs local events. Understanding this can benefit city planning and development by identifying areas for growth and informing decisions about policies and regulations.
  • #1
thedeath
2
0
In a city where 30% occupants are foreign, the probability of a foreign being questioned is 40%, while for a local is 10%. What is the likelihood that any person chosen at random will be questioned.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3


The likelihood that any person chosen at random will be questioned in this city would be 22%. This can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the probability for a foreign being questioned (40%) and a local being questioned (10%), using the proportion of foreign and local occupants in the city (30% and 70%, respectively).

(40% x 30%) + (10% x 70%) = (0.4 x 0.3) + (0.1 x 0.7) = 0.12 + 0.07 = 0.19

Therefore, there is a 19% chance that a foreign person will be questioned and a 7% chance that a local person will be questioned. Adding these two probabilities together gives us a total of 26%. However, this includes the possibility that a person is both foreign and local, which is not possible. To adjust for this, we subtract the probability of a person being both foreign and local (30% x 10% = 3%) from the total, giving us a final likelihood of 26% - 3% = 22%.

In conclusion, in this city, there is a 22% likelihood that any person chosen at random will be questioned, taking into account the different probabilities for foreigners and locals being questioned and the proportion of foreign and local occupants in the city.
 

Related to Probability: Foreign vs Local in a City

1. What is the difference between foreign and local probability in a city?

The difference between foreign and local probability in a city is the likelihood of an event occurring based on whether it involves a foreign or local entity. Foreign probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring involving a person, business, or product that is from outside the city or country. Local probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring involving a person, business, or product that is from within the city or country.

2. How is foreign probability calculated in a city?

Foreign probability in a city is typically calculated by determining the number of foreign entities present in the city and comparing it to the total population. This can also be calculated by determining the number of foreign-owned businesses or products in the city and comparing it to the total number of businesses or products.

3. How does local probability affect the economy of a city?

Local probability can have a significant impact on the economy of a city. A higher local probability means that there is a higher likelihood of local businesses and products being successful, which can lead to job creation and economic growth. On the other hand, a lower local probability may indicate a lack of competitiveness and potential economic decline.

4. What factors can influence the probability of foreign vs local events in a city?

There are several factors that can influence the probability of foreign vs local events in a city. Some of these factors include the size and diversity of the city's population, the strength of the local economy, government policies and regulations, and the presence of international trade and investment.

5. How can understanding foreign vs local probability benefit city planning and development?

Understanding foreign vs local probability can be beneficial in city planning and development as it can help identify areas of strength and weakness in the local economy. This information can then be used to attract foreign investment and promote growth in certain industries. It can also aid in making informed decisions about policies and regulations that can impact the city's economic development.

Similar threads

  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
11
Views
919
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
10
Views
889
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
11
Views
920
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
2
Replies
57
Views
3K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
7
Views
1K
Back
Top