1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability in the Stern Gerlach

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1.Show that one gets a 50% : 50% probability for deflection up and down in a y-Stern Gerlach measurement when atoms that are preselected as +x atoms or -x atoms are used as a source.

What kind of the equation is it? Do we just need to find the coefficients and square them?

2.A source produces atoms is using z-basis as a matrix A (1 i) and moving along y-axis. then we know a magnetic field is applied to the atoms in +y direction to rotate the dipole moment by an angle(a) and we know the rotation matrix B (about a).

For the mathematical description of the state after rotation is AB. Is that right?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    It specifically says dont post homework questions here..

Anyway,

1. You need to use the wave equations for +x and -x atoms (|psi> = |+x> and |psi>=|-x>) and transform it to the y basis. Then square the coefficients.

2. Could you phrase the question in english please? I have no idea what your trying to ask.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    First of all, I think I posted another same one in the advanced phys of homework forum.

Anyway, thanks first, so what is the "|psi>"? The question is just copied from the assignment paper, and I have no idea either...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?