Probability interpretation question

In summary, the formula ψ*(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)ψ(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn) represents the probability of finding N particles at a specific set of coordinates and with a particular spin. The exact interpretation may depend on the number of particles and whether they are entangled or not.
arierreF
If a have the following formula

ψ*(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)ψ(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)

how can interpret it?

the probability of finding a particle in a set of coordinates r1,...rn, with spin σ1,...σn or

the probability of finding a particle in a set of coordinates r1,...rn,σ1,...σn ?

I know that this is a stupid question...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say the first. The second would make no sense from the notation.

I googled it and i found that

ψ*(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)ψ(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn) is the probability that the N particles are at a particular set of coordinates r1,...rn , with a particular spin σ1,...σn.

So we can not find the prob. for one particle? Just for the N particles?

Last edited:
I guess that depends how many particles are in the system and whether they are entangled or not. If they are entangled you won't be able to separate the wave-function out for a single particle.

Ok, but I am still not understanding something.

Considering that the N particle are entangled,

My thought:
probability that the N particles are at coordinates r1,...rn , with spin σ1,...σn.

Google answer:
probability that the N particles are at a particular set of coordinates r1,...rn , with a particular spin σ1,...σn.

what is the difference?

I don't think there is any difference. Each n will refer to a different particle. Sorry if I am not understanding the confusion properly.

Ok i got it.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is probability interpretation?

Probability interpretation refers to the different ways in which we understand and interpret the concept of probability. It involves understanding the likelihood of an event occurring and how it is calculated.

2. What are the different types of probability interpretation?

There are three main types of probability interpretation: frequentist, Bayesian, and subjective. Frequentist interpretation is based on the frequency of an event occurring in a large number of trials. Bayesian interpretation involves incorporating prior knowledge and updating beliefs based on new evidence. Subjective interpretation is based on an individual's personal beliefs and opinions about the likelihood of an event.

3. How does probability interpretation differ from probability theory?

Probability interpretation focuses on how we understand and interpret the concept of probability, while probability theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the mathematical properties of probability and its applications.

4. Can probability interpretation be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, probability interpretation is often used in real-world situations to make predictions, assess risk, and make decisions based on uncertain outcomes. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and psychology.

5. What are some common misconceptions about probability interpretation?

One common misconception is that probability interpretation is the same as probability theory. Another is that probability always represents a precise prediction, when in reality it is often used to represent uncertain outcomes. It is also important to understand that probability interpretation is not always objective and can be influenced by personal biases and beliefs.