Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability interpretation question

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    If a have the following formula

ψ*(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)ψ(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)

how can interpret it?

the probability of finding a particle in a set of coordinates r1,...rn, with spin σ1,...σn or

the probability of finding a particle in a set of coordinates r1,...rn,σ1,...σn ?

I know that this is a stupid question...

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2
    I would say the first. The second would make no sense from the notation.

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    I googled it and i found that

ψ*(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn)ψ(r1,...rn,σ1,...σn) is the probability that the N particles are at a particular set of coordinates r1,...rn , with a particular spin σ1,...σn.

So we can not find the prob. for one particle? Just for the N particles?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  5. May 17, 2014 #4
    I guess that depends how many particles are in the system and whether they are entangled or not. If they are entangled you won't be able to separate the wave-function out for a single particle.

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    Ok, but im still not understanding something.

Considering that the N particle are entangled,

My thought:
    probability that the N particles are at coordinates r1,...rn , with spin σ1,...σn.

Google answer:
    probability that the N particles are at a particular set of coordinates r1,...rn , with a particular spin σ1,...σn.

what is the difference?

7. May 17, 2014 #6
    I don't think there is any difference. Each n will refer to a different particle. Sorry if I am not understanding the confusion properly.

8. May 17, 2014 #7
    Ok i got it.

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook