1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability it came from Bag A

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Bag A contains 5 white balls and 2 green balls. Bag B contains 3 white balls and 4 green
    balls. A fair die is rolled and if a 1 or a 2 comes up, a ball is randomly selected from Bag A;
    however, if a 3, 4, 5 or 6 comes up, a ball is randomly selected from Bag B.
    a) What is the probability of selecting a white ball?
    b) If a white ball is selected, what is the probability that this ball came form Bag A?

Alright so a) I figured out. It's 11/21. I got that by multiplying the likelihood of first rolling a one or two (2/6) with the likelihood of getting a white ball in bag a (5/7) and then adding that number to this same process in bag b.

However for part b), for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. I know that the probability of selecting a white ball is now 11/21, so is this an equation dealing with P(bag a ("given that" line)white ball probability)? Conditional probability? A little lost.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

danago

Gold Member

Yes it is a conditional probability problem. You can use:

[tex]
    P(A|B) = \frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}
    [/tex]

Where A and B are two events.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    You found the chance of getting a white ball from bag a (Ill call it A), and you found the chance of getting a white ball in general (Ill call it B).
    I would just divide A by B to get the probability that a white ball comes from bag A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook