Probability of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets

In summary: provides a good overview of probability theory, and has a free online course that covers many of the basics.
Credulous
What is the probability that a number selected from 0-9 will be the same number as one randomly selected from 0-4?
Relevant equations: $$P(A \cap B) = P(A)*P(B|A)$$
I used the equation above, using A as the event that the number selected from 0-9 will be between 0 and 4, and B as the event that the two selections are the same. Putting these two together I got: $$P(A)*P(B|A) = \frac{5}{10}*\frac{1}{5}^2 = 1/50$$.

It seems alright but it feels too small of a chance for this to happen. I don't really understand probability theory that well. Any books to recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Credulous! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Credulous said:
$$P(A)*P(B|A) = \frac{5}{10}*\frac{1}{5}^2 = 1/50$$.

Why squared? :wink:

Credulous said:
What is the probability that a number selected from 0-9 will be the same number as one randomly selected from 0-4?

Relevant equations: $$P(A \cap B) = P(A)*P(B|A)$$

I used the equation above, using A as the event that the number selected from 0-9 will be between 0 and 4, and B as the event that the two selections are the same. Putting these two together I got: $$P(A)*P(B|A) = \frac{5}{10}*\frac{1}{5}^2 = 1/50$$.

It seems alright but it feels too small of a chance for this to happen. I don't really understand probability theory that well. Any books to recommend?

Sometimes (not always) the most enlightening way to solve a probability problem is to construct the actual "sample space" and look at the event you are interested in. In this case, the sample space consists of all pairs of the form (a,b), where 0 <= a <= 4 and 0 <= b <= 9 are integers. If E is the event "equal numbers", what is E, as a subset of the sample space? What is the probability p(a,b) of sample point (a,b)? How would you get the probability of E?

RGV

What is the definition of "Probability of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets"?

The probability of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets refers to the likelihood of choosing the same number from two different sets of integers, where each selection is made randomly.

How is the probability of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets calculated?

The probability can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to choose the same number from two different integer sets by the total number of possible selections from both sets.

Does the size of the integer sets affect the probability of 2 equivalent random selections?

Yes, the size of the integer sets can affect the probability. As the size of the sets increases, the probability of choosing the same number decreases.

What is the difference between probability and possibility when it comes to 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring, while possibility refers to the potential for an event to occur. In the context of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets, probability is a more accurate measure as it takes into account the number of possible outcomes.

How can the probability of 2 equivalent random selections from integer sets be used in real-world applications?

The concept of probability can be applied in various fields such as finance, genetics, and statistics. For example, in finance, it can be used to calculate the likelihood of a particular investment yielding a certain return. In genetics, it can be used to determine the probability of inheriting certain traits. In statistics, it can be used to make predictions and analyze data.