Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of birthdays on every day

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    Please may someone help me with this and if you have an answer please may you show all the steps that you took. This is not a prep question but I was thinking about it and wondering what the answer was but my statistics skills are not good enough for this yet. :)

If I have a randomly selected group of 430 people. What is the probability that there is 1 birthday on ever single day in the year? (Assume that it is a 365 day year)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2
    Good luck...I guess you are asking for an answer from the purely mathematical point of view assuming a uniform distribution of births throughout the year?

I am wondering because that's not what REALLY happens. Weather and holidays affect love-making; last I heard, new year's is a 'lucky' day and so, we have a lot of September people.

Just look at the animal kingdom; ok, they don't have holidays, but look at how the times when, basically, the entire group gives birth within a matter of days or weeks ruled by migratory patterns, availability of food, weather conditions, etc.

Anyway, just a thought.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    Yeh I am looking for an answer with a mathematical point of view that assumes that births are evenly distributed throughout the year.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    This is the "Coupon Collector's Problem". See my reply to this post

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=523620

for a formula for the probability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook