Probability of False Alarm_A simple idea will do

In summary, the conversation is about a student from India seeking help with implementing an idea in Matlab for their course project on "Cooperative Spectrum Sensing using Cyclostationary Feature Detection in Cognitive Radio for Ultra-Wideband Communication". They have completed the Spectrum Sensing portion and have the code for the Cooperative part, but are having trouble with the pfa values and need an idea on how to introduce them into the program. They aim to plot the ROC and are seeking help from others.
aparna_p_s
Hi all,

I am a student from India doing masters in communication systems. I have an issue with implementing an idea in matlab. Please check if you can help with it.

My course project deals with "Cooperative Spectrum Sensing using Cyclostationary Feature Detection in Cognitive Radio for Ultra-Wideband Communication". I selected this topic since it is an emerging topic and there is good scope for further research.

I already completed the Spectrum Sensing using Cyclostationary Feature Detection and successfully applied it to the Ultra-Wideband section. I also have the codings for the Cooperative part but find some mistakes there.

I have myself defined the pfa(probability of false detection) values from 0 to 1 and I think there I made the mistake. Now what i require is an idea regarding how to introduce "pfa" into the program. So if you have any false detection program please mail it to me. Or even a simple idea will do. I will try and convert the idea into codings.I aim to plot the ROC. ie probability of detection against probability of false alarm.

I would be very thankful for your reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello !

I am also student of Master of Engineering in Communication Engineering. My Dissertation Topic is Spectrum Sensing using Cyclostationary Detection. I want to do comparative analysis of at least 2 algorithms to get ROC in Cyclostationary Detection using MATLAB. I am not getting output. Please help me.

1. What is the "Probability of False Alarm_A simple idea will do"?

The "Probability of False Alarm_A simple idea will do" is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of an alarm being triggered when there is no actual event or problem to be detected. It is often used in fields such as engineering, medicine, and security to assess the reliability of alarm systems.

2. How is the probability of false alarm calculated?

The probability of false alarm is calculated by dividing the number of false alarms by the total number of alarms triggered. This calculation is usually done over a period of time to get an average rate of false alarms.

3. What factors can affect the probability of false alarm?

There are several factors that can affect the probability of false alarm, including the sensitivity of the alarm system, the accuracy of the sensor used, and the threshold level set for triggering an alarm. Environmental conditions, such as noise or interference, can also impact the probability of false alarm.

4. How can the probability of false alarm be reduced?

The probability of false alarm can be reduced by using more accurate sensors, setting appropriate threshold levels, and regularly calibrating the alarm system. Implementing signal processing techniques and filtering out noise can also help to decrease the likelihood of false alarms.

5. Is a low probability of false alarm always desirable?

While a low probability of false alarm is generally desirable, it is not always the most important factor to consider. In some cases, a higher probability of false alarm may be acceptable if it means detecting all actual events or problems. It ultimately depends on the specific application and the consequences of missing a real event versus triggering a false alarm.