1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of finding a particle at X?

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    Hey all,

Here's my question : Given X is the position of a particle at time T, how would I go about finding the probability of finding said particle at any given position if i randomly pick a time out of the interval T1 to T2?

Let's say that my X(t) = cos(t). How can I find the probability of observing the value of X(t) to be equal to some value X if i randomly select a value for time from my interval T1<T<T2?

This is kind of inspired by quantum physics; in particular the time independent solutions to the shrodinger wave equation for a harmonic oscillator. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Integrate from T1 to T2?
    For a classical motion with a non-zero velocity, this leads to a sum over ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{v_i}## where vi are the velocities at times i where the particle crosses the position you are looking at.

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3
    Integrate what from T1 - T2? X(t)? 1/V(t)? What I'd ultimately want would be a function of X that gives me the probability.

Kinda confused, sorry :/

5. Jan 1, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Integrate the probability to find the particle at position x at time t from T1 to T2 (and divide by (T2-T1) to normalize it properly). With an exact position that needs distributions to do it properly, but with the result I posted above.

It is probably easier with the example:
    X(t) = cos(t)
    X'(t) = -sin(t)
    Let's say T1=0 and T2=2 pi and we are interested in the probability to find the particle at x=0. The particle crosses this point twice, at 1/2 pi and 3/2 pi. The derivative there is -1 and 1 respectively. The sum I suggested (forgot to take the absolute value) gives ##\frac{1}{|-1|} + \frac{1}{|1|}##, dividing it by 2 pi gives 1/pi.
    The probability to find ##x=\sqrt{3/4}##, following the same steps, is ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \left( \frac{1}{|-1/2|} + \frac{1}{|1/2|} \right) = \frac{2}{\pi}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook