What is the probability of getting a sum of 10 when rolling two unfair dice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dice Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


(see attachment)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The sum of the probabilities of each number on the dice is 1, i.e
[tex]\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{9}+x+\frac{2}{9}+y=1[/tex]
where x and y are the probabilities of number 4 and 6 respectively. Solving,
[tex]x+y=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

The probability that the two dice shows same number is
[tex]\left(\frac{1}{6} \right)^2+\left(\frac{1}{6} \right)^2+\left(\frac{1}{9} \right)^2+x^2+\left(\frac{2}{9} \right)^2+y^2=\left(\frac{2}{3} \right)^4[/tex]
Solving, [tex]x^2+y^2=\frac{13}{18}[/tex]
Rewriting ##x^2+y^2## as ##(x+y)^2-2xy## and substituting the value of ##x+y##,
[tex]2xy=\frac{-11}{18}[/tex]
For the sum of two resulting numbers to be 10, there are three possible cases. The first shows 4 and the second shows 6 or (4,6). The other cases are (5,5) and (6,4).
The probability that the sum of the two resulting numbers is 10 can be given by the expression:
[tex]2xy+\left(\frac{2}{9} \right)^2[/tex]
Substituting the value of ##2xy##, I get a negative answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • probability.png
    probability.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are just messing up the arithmetic. I don't get x^2+y^2=13/18. Check it.
 
Dick said:
I think you are just messing up the arithmetic. I don't get x^2+y^2=13/18. Check it.

Oh yes, I missed a factor of 9 in the denominator. :redface:

Thanks Dick! :smile: