1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question considering 6 dice throws

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dice is thrown 6 times. What's the probability of numbers 5 and 6 showing up at least once.

2. Relevant equations
    This ought to be basic probability calculus but i just can't get my head around this. Some kind of attempt(ish) below. THe answer ought to be 0.418 or 41.8%.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now, i know the amount of different permutations is 6^6. Suppose A = [a number 5 appears] and B = [a number 6 appears].
    I think i'd need to do this as
    P(A n B) = 1 - P(A^c) - P(B^c) + P(A^c n B^c) where ^c denotes a complement.

Probability of A being false (5 not showing) = (5/6)^6 and it's the same for B. I just can't figure out what P(A^c n B^c) is... It's "something" divided by 6^6 but that's as far as i get... Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A and B false <=> no 5 and no 6.
    Can you calculate the probability of "not 5 and not 6" for a single throw? With that probability, it is easy to calculate "no 5 and no 6" for all 6 throws.

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks alot! Got it done :). Final calculation being

P(A n B) = 1 - (5/6)^6 - (5/6)^6 + (4/6)^6 = 0.41799...

Anyway, thanks again!

5. Dec 22, 2012 #4
    Wouldn't the probability be 1 - (4/6)^6 = .9122?

Since the probability of rolling any other number is (4/6) for one roll. And for six rolls it is (4/6)^6.

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, the question aks for the probability of rolling at least one 5 and at least one 6, not at least one 5 or 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook